Cleaning my rossi- whats up?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Mrskrimps

Cleaning my rossi- whats up?

Post by Mrskrimps »

Long time follower. don't post much. I clean my firearms after every outing. I don't have an arsenal, but i have a few firearms i regularly shoot. a few i got new. a couple used - including milsurp. When im cleaning the 1943 Mosin Nagant- i know this cat never coming out clean. I get to a shade of dark on my patches and im ok with it- but why my year old rossi 92 .357? I've never swiped a clear patch from the barrel. It always comes out dirty. Do i have a factory seal coat still in there? Has anyone else had this problem? Its not detrimental, the thing shoots- but why cant i get a clean patch out of this thing?

For hard cleaning I use hoppes #9 and rem oil to store. for everyday shooting i just soak with balistol and patch out semi dry. Would brake cleaner fix this? just one go? Like i said the thing shoots like a dream. accurate, feeds everything i want it- its not really a problem more of a personal concern- why cant i get this thing clean!

I shoot 95% handloads but same bullets in a revolver wash out
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Cleaning my rossi- whats up?

Post by Reese-Mo »

Any streaks in the bore? Streaks are leading.

There is no "seal coat".

Could be your handgun velocity is low enough to prevent leading whilst rifle goes over the leading threshold velocity.

If leading is just streaks, not lumps, a few jacketed rounds will clear it up.
Mrskrimps

Post by Mrskrimps »

It’s not leading. I’m using pretty hard cast and I’m pretty experienced in casting. It’s just weird. Gonna treat is like a cosmo milsurp next time to see if it fixes it- no streaks bore looks great. Accuracy on par too, so far not a functional problem, just afraid it may become one. I really love this thing. It’s shot better, handles better, loads anything better than I could have imagined. It’s a great rifle- it’s why patches come out gnarly as hell
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

Well... #9 should take care of powder crud, and cast boolit lube crud. You might want to let the wet bore soak a bit. Anything else is metallic.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

It is the products you are using. They are old school but don't have the properties to get it clean. For example, I don't have a Mosin, but I have an SMLE. It had the same problem; layers of lead, covered by layers of copper, covered by layers of... The rifle had been used on a South Texas ranch as a "truck gun" (hate that term), had the heck shot out of it, and not seen a patch in 50 years. Yet, the owner complained it could not hit a hog at 50 yards.

I use Shooters Choice Copper Remover and Lead Remover. Once I remove a layer of copper, I work on the lead until it got down to another layer of copper. It still might take a while on any neglected firearm, but Hoppes will never get it. When I got into slugs and their sabots, they have a product for that as well, and it cleans the bore immediately.

The Rossi, if it still leaves a gray residue on the patch, it's dirty (probably lead) given you bullet material. I shoot hard cast bullets (29 BHN), and they will still leave material behind. Anything softer than the barrel steel leaves residue behind.

Oh, the SMLE does real fine now. I've killed hogs out to 300 yards. I also gave it a facelift and some love!

Michael
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

+1 that Hoppes doesn't do crap on copper. It "will" remove some copper (aka, greenish/bluish patch residue). The #9 Benchrest is a high-ammonia and does a much better job on copper, and powder too actually. Its like #9 on steroids. But, it doesn't do doodly squat on lead.

Fortunately there is a free lube that will eventually cut lead: Elbow grease. Applied with a fresh bronze brush, or stainless brush. Yes, controversy... but I've never had noticeable damage with one, but then again, I'd never scrub a really special barrel with one.

As an aside... back in the 80's/90's when I was a general range hand, gunsmith, reloading tool designer/builder, and broom-sweep at a local range, we'd rent out all sorts of handguns. And we'd let folks shoot our range reloads (which were soft as can be). I remember a fixed sight Smith, and a Ruger Redhawk, both .357 that got rented so much, they'd grow a half inch long "tube" of lead out of the muzzle. When that happened, I'd take my knife, cut off the tube, then use the Makita cordless with a cut off cleaning rod and a stainless brush, and "drill out" the lead in the chambers and barrel. Those guns went literally 10's of 1000's of rounds, and got cleaned like that once a week or so. Barrels looked fine too when we finally sold 'em after oh... five or six years of use. I shoulda bought that 357 Redhawk, dammit.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

I consider a stainless brush as a tool of last resort, but I’ve used one. Two or three passes was all that was required. Ammonia based stuff is great for copper removal, but it’s also a great stock stripper, so be careful. Abrasive pastes are also effective on gnarly bores.

Gnarly bored rifles can be great deals.
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Gunny268 »

Try SharpShootR Wipe-out spray cleaner. It's a foaming spray cleaner that is not an ammonia based cleaner like Sweet's 7.62. I use Sweets for copper fouling and Wipe-out for the carbon and lead. YMMV.
And I would like to discourage you on poking anything made of "steel" down the bore - rod or brush.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

JB Bore Paste, now made by Brownells. I've used it, it works ok, but not for heavy leading. Another one that really cleans the lead out is the good ol Lewis Lead Remover, mostly for handguns though. Have used Flitz rubbed into a patch to get traces of metal fouling out.

The KSG is parkerized inside its bore, and gives lots o' filth until that eventually shoots out. Its chamber is also phosphated, and that causes extraction issues for some folks. The Kahr barrels are nickel plated outside and in. Outside to help with anti-galling and lubricity, inside because... that's just the way they're done. Kahr barrels notoriously have "nickel" streaking, and lots o' black on the patches until they shoot out the plating. The barrel plating is electroless, quite thin actually, no copper wash, so a few hundred jacketed rounds and you're good to go.

Dunno whats in OPs barrel, but it'll come out. Knowing what it is, would certainly help"!!!