Is there a pic-rail with a peep sight available for the 92?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
evi1joe

Is there a pic-rail with a peep sight available for the 92?

Post by evi1joe »

I REALLY want a peep sight mounted on a picatinny rail, kinda like this (see picture below).

QUESTION:
1) Is there anything available like this? I've looked and can't find anything, but ideally, I'd put a small red dot on it (open or closed emitter), then have the peeps as a backup.
2) How bad is the buckhorn sight? Do you just center the post in the middle or the top of the "horn" for close range, then drop it down to the tiny notch for like 100Y? My gun is a 38/357 model.

PIC of what kind of setup I want:
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Is there a pic-rail with a peep sight available for the

Post by Reese-Mo »

I didnt like the Miroku front sight and stuck a Sue-hit bead over it. But on the Rossi, that front sight works well with their semi buckhorn.

You have it bach-asswards wiyh the drop down. In the nitch close, then middle or top for really far. REALLY far. Sight your .357 at 100 to 125 yards. Shoot it sort of flat to maybe 175
evi1joe

Post by evi1joe »

Wow. Yeah, that makes sense since you have to LOWER the front sight to get it in the small notch.

You'd think that something far away would need more precision, thus the small notch, and that for close up you'd want a super big view and easy to center area. :)

I really want a pic rail (I have like 2 extra red dots laying around), but I'd have to have a peep as a backup, because a red-dot only lever gun just seems wrong on some level.

I saw that Steve's Gunz had a peep to replace the safety, so I may go that round, BUT it seems like the pic rails would need to be hollowed out down the center line (I prefer that look anyway) or I don't know if you'd be able to see over it.

ALSO:
My NEW R92 38/357 was bought for $579, and the action is nice and smooth. I don't know anything about any long guns except ARs and AKs, but the wood looks good, the barrel strap is good, etc.

My ONLY two minor issues are that the lever stops kinda far--about 2/5" or so--from the stock (I'd prefer maybe 1/4" or so), AND the front sight is pushed too far to the left. I'm going to have to knock it into the center with a brass punch or rig up something with one of my sight pushers.

QUESTION:
Will the "TRIPLE BLACK" sight and rail fit on the Rossi 92 16" carbine? See pic:
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

The Buckhorn isn't perfect but it isn't bad.
The Bead can be a little big IMO but it works as designed, it is just a little large to' draw a fine bead on something' at range. Rapid acquisition at 50-75 yards is good to go.

Follow Rees-Mo's Buckhorn comments. It's a pistol caliber carbine. You are going to be lobbing those bullets if you use the top of the buckhorn.

Make sure that you end up with your sights on target as you are tapping away at the front sight.

There was a couple three threads about long range .357 using a tang sight on a 24" rifle and a Steve's bolt peep on a 20" Carbine but apparently the user deleted his posts and then had his account scragged as I could find only a few fragments of his previous comments and no pictures after a pretty extensive search.
evi1joe

Post by evi1joe »

For me, it won't be a gun I use past 100Y.
IF I put a 2.5X Leupy on it, I might go out to 150-175Y, but the longest range I have access to is 200Y, and the longest clear shot around these part is rarely over 60Y.

This is my first non-AR/AK, but so far I love it...it reminds me of my youth, watching all the cowboy shows and movies.
If ONLY I could find some ammo. But 357mag is gone. I'm not paying $1.50rd for FMJs, and I saw some Winchester self-defense stuff that was $190.00 for a 50rd box (+$12 shipping). It MAY be a few years before I get to shoot this thing. :)
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

The mounting holes on the Triple Black appear to be in the same place as other Rossi 92s. Iā€™d bet the Triple Black rail would work. But where are you gonna find one?

I use a tang sight and a NOE rail, and I did need a taller front sight to see over the rail. The Skinner rail is less of a problem in that regard.

Have you considered the red dot mount that uses the dovetail?