New Friction Stud

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

New Friction Stud

Post by Reese-Mo »

I had some time this afternoon, so rummaged around to find something to make a new friction stud outta. I found a grade 5 stainless socket cap screw in 1/4-20 and thought... the minor diameter might be just about right, and grinding off the threads would be easier than grinding the shank. I thought wrong. What a tough sob that screw material is.

At any rate - the before picture
rossipart.jpg
The "cleaned up" thread minor diameter came in at .185ish, too small.

However... I did see that Brownell's has #8 drill rod, which is .198 in diameter. For five bucks, I'll have to get some other items to make it all worth while, but that's cheaper (and easier) than cutting the shank off a #8 drill... assuming I could find one locally.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: New Friction Stud

Post by Reese-Mo »

Maybe its my old age.... I really didn't want to spend a bunch for a new friction stud, just to play around with one to see if I could do better for my realigned lever,

So, I got thinkin'..... 5mm shank, should be .196 inches. That is, if the metric screws match how Imperial (aka, English, aka SAE, aka American) threaded screws work. My local hole in the wall has some, and I'll just bring along the micrometer.

More as it comes....