GasGuzzler Gets a 454

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
GasGuzzler

Re: GasGuzzler Gets a 454

Post by GasGuzzler »

Got the screw all fixed up other than cold blue.

ImageImage

Also found more evidence someone has been in here. The loading gate edge has been polished already. I slightly reshaped the spring area today.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Still waiting for the Steve's brass front sight and peep safety delete sight. Seems like it would take just a couple days (ordered on 5-10). Ejector spring on a slow boat from Michigan might be here Monday. If I spend the rest of the weekend on the wood and cleaning up the mechanicals maybe I can have it done mid-week.

Fiebing's leather dye custom mixed and applied this morning.
  • Two parts light brown
  • One part black
  • Two parts isopropyl alcohol
Here is the dry mock up to check color against blued steel.

Next came TruOil cut with a little alcohol to keep it from taking 24 hours to dry. Not looking for a thick finish on the first few coats.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

Kudos on Feibings! I used lots of their "buckskin" refinishing low end Gobson Les Pauls and SGs. Did a wunnerful job on mahogany.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Looking good GG!
Michael
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Sights still haven't made it. Ordered sling swivels and a 1" wide chocolate brown leather sling today. Yesterday got the lugs trued and the tops cold blued (not sure why the tops of the lugs were polished bare metal??). Clipped two coils off the hammer spring. Waiting on the stupid extractor spring for reassembly of the receiver. That should be here Monday. Not sure if I mentioned early but I shimmed the trigger spring also. Now back to more work on the wood...
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Wood is complete. Tracking shows the ejector spring arrived yesterday but none of the five other people that live here checked the mail.

Still no sights. Gotta be honest and say I am frustrated with Steve's Gunz. It's been 16 days since I ordered, they hit my card on day one, did not send any kind of email acknowledging the order, and have not after two days responded to the email I sent asking about my order.

Sling and swivels here by Friday.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Steve's Gunz left me a voicemail during my lunch nap telling me they've emailed several times to tell me the peep sight I ordered (and showed in stock) is not in stock and asked whether I wanted the front now or wait for the rear to come in from their supplier. Their emails were all caught and filed in SPAM by hotmail.
I told them I'd wait and get it all at once if they expected it soon. They're only a couple three hours drive from here so once they get it, I'll get it next day...probably.

Swivels showed up yesterday, sling will be today. Hopefully everything but the sights will be done by this weekend.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

All done except for the sights...

There's a small gun show here this weekend. Maybe I'll see if someone will pay GunBroker price for it.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

Looks good. My only "I woulda...." is the front of the fore end, which I prefer with its edge broken by a little radius. Nit pickin' my tastes/preferences on you though... What you got there is really handsome lookin'. You might just get the GB price ;)
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I did roll it a little. It was FLAT cut straight off. It's hard to see in the pics but at least it isn't dangerously sharp now. Good call. Now I wait for sights...

It's VERY smooth operationally.