GasGuzzler Gets a 454

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
GasGuzzler

Re: GasGuzzler Gets a 454

Post by GasGuzzler »

__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

That's a good score, congrats. Tube feed and loading gate.

Check The Smith Shop. The follower are $18.00 and they don't charge an arm and a leg for shipping..

Just read Archer's post on the Smith shop. I'm having the same problem with their website
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

Startin to get watchercall 'intrestin''
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

GasGuzzler wrote:The swivels appear to be aftermarket...something like this but with a larger clamp ---> CLICK HERE

If it was a Torx it was in between two sizes. The only non-multiple of five I have ever used on a firearm or an automobile is a 27 and that's way bigger and maybe only once have I seen one. I already drilled it out. Came right off. I have the stocks off as well as the inner and outer magazines. Not diving into the internals until I get more time.

EDIT to add: I also took a utility knife and cut the membrane of wood out of the center of the forearm. It wasn't touching side to side and the screw hole for the band has been opened up so I am more thinking the first owner (I am the third) did some basic mods.
I've seen T4, T5, T6, T7, T8, T9 but mostly on cell phones and knives. May have also run into some of the smaller than T10 sizes on bike parts. T7 on a hydraulic brake bleed port?
I've got a T27 and T47 bit sockets but never seen the fasteners.

I think there's some companies that insist on going to in between sizes, new driver styles and oddball threads just to be annoying. Alexander Arms for example used a 9/16 thread for their 6.5 Grendel muzzle devices and a 49/64ths for their 50 Beowulf muzzle threads. Yeah it keeps you from putting a 6.5 muzzle brake on a .308 but who's going to mess up the 50? AMC used a security Torx back in the late 70s or early 80s on their DJ tail light covers. I guess so you had to take the vehicle back to the dealer when the bulb went out. It was hard enough finding the Torx bits back then the security bits were neigh impossible. Around that same time GM was using Torx for seat belt anchor bolts and Ford was using them for the disc brake caliper pins.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

I learned about "non 5" torx .... Triple clamp on my 94 Sporty 1200.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Brass follower bought off eBay came from Comfort, TX in a hurry. Got the spring measured (no adjustment needed), inner and outer tubes cleaned inside and out, follower swapped.

It's even more obvious this thing has been apart, possibly by a previous owner or maybe even Rossi.

Also received (quickly) and installed the high dollar but best there is dovetail filler from Ranger Point Precision.

The butt stock is almost in the white. Haven't started on the forearm yet.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Wood is 99% ready for color. Of course I cannot find my dye. I did order the C-562 springs this morning.

GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

The screw from the Uncle Mike's clamp on sling swivel turns out to be M4X0.7. I found a pair at Home Depot for $0.82 out the door. I will have to reduce the OD of the head the caveman way then shorten it and touch it up. I normally don't like items like this on my guns but it beats filling the hole in the stock.

mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

tighten up three or four nuts on it, chuck it in a drill, lightly spin in on a file

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Good idea. My plan was to chuck it in a cordless and run it against a grinder then run a die down it before cutting off the excess damaged by the chuck.