Rossi 92 ejector spring ?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Junge

Rossi 92 ejector spring ?

Post by Junge »

Hi All
Is this the correct ejector spring on Amazon ? And dose it work ok cannot find it here in the UK or maybe somewhere as it is just a spring

Robert
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Rossi 92 ejector spring ?

Post by Reese-Mo »

Some say so, some, me included...say too light. Try 1/4 inch OD with .035 wire.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

I just went back and looked.

That's what I got and it worked great with approximately two coils cut off. That was a sort of by-guess and by-golly approach, but it did ok!

It ejects loaded rounds just fine, snappy, but not into the next county. Empties are a bit further, but not bad. It "feels" like the Miroku 92 ejector tension.

Why do we change that spring? High extractor force is pushing the bolt "backward" causing drag on the locking bolts. Compared to "factory" its much much lighter. I'd say except for race gun use, its excellent. The lighter 530 spring is darn near "drag-free", but wouldn't eject loaded rounds, and just barely ejected empties unless the action was cycled really forcefully. I've an idea that the 530 might be fine on a really well tuned race-gun, but ... unless you need/want that, for regular range and hunting use, I like the aforementioned 1/4 with .035 wire better. If you do the math, which is only a guesstimate due to the nature of the spring winding, the .035 is about 75% of the .040 stock spring.
Nashville Stage

Post by Nashville Stage »

Reese-Mo wrote: Why do we change that spring? High extractor force is pushing the bolt "backward" causing drag on the locking bolts.
I think you meant "ejector", not "extractor", but I see what you're talking about.

Personally, the biggest reason for me when I replaced my ejector spring with a lighter one was that it lessened the risk of breaking the ejector. This forum has more than a few cases of the ejector stalk snapping off due to the repeated pounding it gets from an overly-strong spring, combined with the shock loading that happens every time a case is ejected and the ejector comes to a stop. The thin section on the ejector shaft has proven to be just a little too weak.

This, combined with the difficulty of finding replacement parts was enough for me to purchase a lighter spring. The increased ease of cycling the action, as well as having the empty brass not slung into low orbit were both nice side effects.

As to the question of which spring to get, I chose the one from Steves Gunz and have been very happy with it. However, I realize that the original poster is outside the U.S. and that particular source isn't an option. I'll take some measurements of my spring and see how it compares with Reece-Mo's. The measurements should make it possible for you to find a similar spring.
stevep1954

Post by stevep1954 »

someone on this forum mentioned that the win. 92 spring from gun parts corp works in the rossi. i bought one to try but have not put it in yet. My new rossi drops the brass at your feet so maybe the company listened to the end users.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

Nashville Stage wrote:
Reese-Mo wrote: Why do we change that spring? High extractor force is pushing the bolt "backward" causing drag on the locking bolts.
I think you meant "ejector", not "extractor", but I see what you're talking about.
Well yeah.... look when I posted that.... over tired to the point of not being able to sleep.

I had thoughts about ejector breaking too. It doesn't really move all that fast as parts go, but still, lower tension cant be a bad thing for life on that shaft.
Junge

Post by Junge »

Hi all
Thanks for all the information it’s been very helpful, thanks Reese-Mo just ordered a replacement spring thought I had a replacement ejector that’s from a Chiappa 92 but doesn’t fit the claws are too wide I suppose with a lot of filing it could fit anybody had any experience with this? I have also ordered a replacement from hear in the UK that I think is a Steve gunz ejector but apparently needs a lot of work to fit anybody had experience with this I guess I have to wait till the Steve gunz one comes and go from there.

Robert
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Reese-Mo wrote:Try 1/4 inch OD with .035 wire.
Found a part number?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Junge

Post by Junge »

I’ve ordered the spring you posted won’t see it till 20th also now have ejector but needs fitting as it sits a bit high

Robert
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

GasGuzzler wrote:
Reese-Mo wrote:Try 1/4 inch OD with .035 wire.
Found a part number?
I think I had that in another thread