My new R92 story....

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

My new R92 story....

Post by Reese-Mo »

Been wanting a levergun to replace my old '94 (no safety, rebounding hammer, AE). That was an ok gun, but... ya know, the ex got it. She got everything.

So I got to Jones'n around and bought a new Winchester 1892 back in Sept '20. Nobody has any leverguns in my locale. I figured, hey, spend for the Winchester/Miroku and just get the better gun. First time I tried to shoot it, it would not fire. Long story short, I knew it was the firing pin (front end missing), but Browning said they're "unbreakable". I told 'em.... it wont shoot, so send me a label. They did, and lets see... October, November, December, January... and at the middle of February, I got the rifle back with "New Firing Pin Installed" on the work order.

Well... in the meantime, since I was carrying a 44 Charter every day, I said, hey, I'll get a Rossi in .44 and have that for a second lever. Finally found a new one online. And that's where things get interesting. I won't mention the big online retailer, but... the box was really beat inside the outer shipping box. There was no manual, no lock, no nuthin with the rifle, except a little red tag on the lever. Also says "Made in Brazil by Rossi" and "Braztech CBC" No idea what the CBC stands for.

The online manual shows a "Taurus" style hammer lock, but doesn't mention it in the text of the manual. This rifle doesn't have that feature. Just the bolt/firing pin gizmo. No F&S on the bolt, just a red dot, which is the "Fire" position. The wood looks a whole lot like low grade mahogany to me.

Wood to metal fit - as good or better than the Win/Miroku
Metal to metal fit - ditto
Metal finish - high luster, almost mirror, no obvious machine marks, even on the bolt sides and lug recesses.
Action - smoother, by a wide, wide margin than the Win/Miroku

And it feeds 44 Special truncated cone, semi wadcutter, round nose flat point, and "double round ball" loads. The latter being two .430 balls stuffed into a .44Special case. All are my loads. It feeds .44 Russian which I have for the Charter (cheaper than .44 Special when I got 'em, and loaded to .44 Special power). So it basically feeds everything I could stuff into it.

Very happy camper! Got a ejector spring inbound - and I'll pay forward with a SASE for the unused ones.

I do have a few odd questions, which I'll post in another thread.

Thanks for the read!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: My new R92 story....

Post by Archer »

Congrats, sounds like you got a very good one.

CBC Companhia Brasileira de Caruchos, is the largest ammunition manufacturing company in the world. You may have seen MagTech ammo? Same thing. Some people say it's the same as Remington which is understandable since Remington ran CBC for a while but Remington before Obama (or before they were bought out by their own money) was probably better after the conglomerate cost cutting that lead to Remington's multiple bankruptcy it might be on par or better.

Braztech was the Taurus/Rossi importer label in the U.S. when they decided to bring that function under the Taurus umbrella. They decided to ditch the Braztech label and use the CBC one a couple three years ago.

It sounds rather like you got a used and abused Miroku and an excellent Rossi.
I have seen multiple people over the years who have busted firing pins on purpose when they decided their relative shouldn't have a working firearm. Then they wonder why it is hard to get a replacement part.

I've got three Braztech Rossi 92s. Also have a Miroku 1895 .30-06, 1886 45-70 and a 1885 .22LR.
I haven't seen a CBC Rossi. I've seen various Rossi guns produced before the CBC guns and never seen one that approached the fit and finish on a Miroku without work.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

The Miroku was new, got it from Buds. Its just that the "redesign" leaves em terrible. Moving the lever is really bumpy. From the rebound hammer to the overdone "holdopen" notch at fully open bolt, to the baf way they've done the mainspring. BTW, you cant cut off the rebound arm on a new Miroku 92. The strut has been refashioned to disallow. You'd need a new longer strut. Its a 2020 production rifle according to serial #.

And last nite, I noticed the Rossi box serial # doesnt match the rifle. So I am wondering about the Rossi.

Seriously, the tooling, wood fit on this Rossi are as nice as the Miroku. Wood finish not as nice, wood a little wavy, not much. All it needs is the ejector spring. Maybe refit the lever detent to be tighter, we will have to see on that.

I gotta call the retailer today and see whats up with the Rossi. No lock no paperwork, wrong #....
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

I got to the bottom of the serial number snafu. We'll chalk it up to human error at the retailer.

Tonight the R92 has been given a bit of a time machine treatment. Sorry I don't have an image hosting place anymore, or I 'd post some snaps. Tomorrow the wood will get the time machine treatment as well.

The metal was gone over with a version of scrubber pad. The wood will get chemically stripped, charred a bit in the spots that are prone to wear (for a right handed shooter like moi), and then a danish oil/stain finish. I use Mohawk stain mixed in acetone with a big stick of carnauba dissolved in it for my danish oil mix. We'll see how it goes.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

Broke down and joined flickr to share some pics

Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

No hosting site required...

Picture posting tutorial:
https://rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=486

Image size requirements
https://rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=486
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

...but hosting site is a better method because you will always have control of the pics' postings and you can share them the same way on every site you visit. Plus hosting them doesn't use forum server space and there are no size limits.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

Yah, I noticed the size limit by pixel and file size. I don't post many... used to have photobucket until they went nuts and also lost a bunch of my stuff, like 80 percent of it!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

GasGuzzler wrote:...but hosting site is a better method because you will always have control of the pics' postings and you can share them the same way on every site you visit. Plus hosting them doesn't use forum server space and there are no size limits.
Reese-Mo wrote:Yah, I noticed the size limit by pixel and file size. I don't post many... used to have photobucket until they went nuts and also lost a bunch of my stuff, like 80 percent of it!
... In addition to the aforementioned example where Photobucket changed their business model that you have to read the fine print as to whether or not hosting sites are 'better' or whether or not 'you always have control of the pics'.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

They warned everyone years in advance and gave ample time to move pics elsewhere. No one should ever keep their pics only hosted. Use hosting to post them, not to store them. Those are two completely different things.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.