Good Scout Scope for R92? [w/ Illuminated Reticle]

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Point452

Re: Good Scout Scope for R92? [w/ Illuminated Reticle]

Post by Point452 »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:
HarryAlonzo wrote:This is just a rant, but if I were King of the World, I’d make a 2.5X red dot with a 10 inch eye relief.
TruGlo makes a 2x red dot. I have 2 of them, one on my 44 Mag Henry big boy steel and one on my Marlin 38/55. I like them and so far they've held up.

Make smoke,
What is the eye relief on that Truglo, will it work on a scout rifle?
“A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun.... Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
- Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter Carr, August 19, 1785
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

The TruGlo spec sheet says it has unlimited eye relief. I’m getting one. Thanks, OH3W!

The Sightmark should work for you, but it has a rather large ocular, too. Spec sheet says 1.7 inch OD and 7.6 inch OAL.

Hawke Sport Optics makes a nice two-piece offset ring set that’s lower than the 1.5 inch AR standard, but your current scope doesn’t appear to have much clearance to the rail.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

HarryAlonzo wrote:The TruGlo spec sheet says it has unlimited eye relief. I’m getting one. Thanks, OH3W!

The Sightmark should work for you, but it has a rather large ocular, too. Spec sheet says 1.7 inch OD and 7.6 inch OAL.

Hawke Sport Optics makes a nice two-piece offset ring set that’s lower than the 1.5 inch AR standard, but your current scope doesn’t appear to have much clearance to the rail.
Hope it works for you like they do for me.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

It appears that the TruGlow 2x42 might be discontinued? At least that's what Optics planet claims the manufacturer has done.

Amazon has it listed as a 'paintball sight' suitable for crossbow, rifle, pistol and shotgun.
Mixed reviews on Midway and Optics Planet Several reviews stating that it did not last fill in the blank w/ less than a dozen rounds. Others who seem to love it. Several other vendors claim to have it in stock and most also have mixed reviews from love it to can't tell where to aim with it and/or the adjustments are inconsistent.

I'd sort of like to get one or more of the dot magnifier setups but they tend to be pretty steep.
I've kind of drifted to the 1-4X or 1-6X illuminated scopes. Still not inexpensive but no more expensive than the dot magnifier setup and potentially simpler.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

The discontinued model on OpticsPlanet is a camo version (Eeew!).

For $47 out the door, I’m not expecting breathtaking quality. I’ll be overjoyed with Good Enough.

Besides what has been mentioned, I’m not aware of any 1-4 or 1-6 variables with illuminated reticles and long eye relief. Red dot magnifiers have even shorter eye relief than the typical scope.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

HarryAlonzo wrote:The discontinued model on OpticsPlanet is a camo version (Eeew!).

For $47 out the door, I’m not expecting breathtaking quality. I’ll be overjoyed with Good Enough.

Besides what has been mentioned, I’m not aware of any 1-4 or 1-6 variables with illuminated reticles and long eye relief. Red dot magnifiers have even shorter eye relief than the typical scope.
I saw some of the vendors list the black one as current production. I guess I didn't look hard enough on the Truglo site yesterday as I didn't find the 2X. When I did a search on the site for the manufacturer's number listed by Midway for the black version I got a link to the dot sights but they didn't mention the 2X until you got more than halfway down the page and the only pic was for the 1X. Found it today

Yeah, I switched applications in the middle, the dot/magnifier setup would be for the ARs not for a scout setup and some of the magnifiers are pretty infinitesimal eye relief. I was looking at one a couple days ago that reviews said left no room for a back up sight on an AR because the eye relief was so short. Same AR application for the illuminated variables.

Bushnell is selling a 3X magnifier that claims long eye relief. but that still probably doesn't work for a lever gun.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

I think this qualifies as hijacking the thread. So sue me.

The TruGlo 2x42 is a wonderful thing. Eye relief is truly unlimited. The image is a bit distorted, but I’m not taking photos. The field of view is a bit narrow, but I can use it with both eyes open. I would like to be able to mount it a few inches further aft, but there seems to be no advantage in doing so. The image is sharp down to about 10 feet. I have astigmatism, but the dot is sharp for me, all the way up to full brightness. With a 2.5 MOA dot and a 50 yard parallax, it should be well matched for any pistol caliber carbine.

I can’t verify that it holds zero, but I may shoot it tomorrow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Looking forward to a range and torture test report...

Camo would probably not have clashed.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

The 2 I have are on a Henry 44 mag and a Marlin 38-55, both have had a couple hundred round through them with no lose of zero or other signs of failure.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Point452

Post by Point452 »

HarryAlonzo wrote:I think this qualifies as hijacking the thread. So sue me.

The TruGlo 2x42 is a wonderful thing. Eye relief is truly unlimited. The image is a bit distorted, but I’m not taking photos. The field of view is a bit narrow, but I can use it with both eyes open. I would like to be able to mount it a few inches further aft, but there seems to be no advantage in doing so. The image is sharp down to about 10 feet. I have astigmatism, but the dot is sharp for me, all the way up to full brightness. With a 2.5 MOA dot and a 50 yard parallax, it should be well matched for any pistol caliber carbine.

I can’t verify that it holds zero, but I may shoot it tomorrow.
Man, that looks like a good setup! I’ll have to check one out.
“A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun.... Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
- Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter Carr, August 19, 1785