Good Scout Scope for R92? [w/ Illuminated Reticle]

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Point452

Good Scout Scope for R92? [w/ Illuminated Reticle]

Post by Point452 »

Howdy Rossi 92 owners and aficionados!

What scout scope setups have you had success with? The length of my scope’s ocular lens assembly required a 1.5” cantilever mount to clear the chamber for ejection.

I love the illuminated reticle for hunting hogs at night, but the cantilever makes the scope so darn high- see below on right:
2A5908EC-E171-45C5-93D0-4B5A17124803.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun.... Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
- Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter Carr, August 19, 1785
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Good Scout Scope for R92? [w/ Illuminated Reticle]

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Sightmark M1A 2.5 X 20 is one that I know of. Is that a Skinner rail? That might be contributing to your problem. It’s further aft than the NOE rail.
Nashville Stage

Post by Nashville Stage »

Another solution would be to add a slip-on or strap-on cheek pad/riser to raise your eye level. It would be a cheaper option if you like the scope that you already have.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

This is just a rant, but if I were King of the World, I’d make a 2.5X red dot with a 10 inch eye relief.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

It's just my guess, but I'd think the vertical parallax (extra scope height) would be really pronounced in a pistol caliber carbine at varying distances. It was noticeable to some degree in my 1973 Marlin 336 30-30 with the "see through rings", but especially with cast/lower velocity bullets. After I finally replaced the "high rise" rings and dropped the scope height down to barely clear the bell of the scope from the barrel, things really settled down. On my R92 44mag, the NOE scope rail works fine with the Weaver Scout scope (not illuminated though) mounted in the lowest rings possible.

just a thought from my 1-1/2¢ (on a budget :) )

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Nashville Stage

Post by Nashville Stage »

mr surveyor wrote:It's just my guess, but I'd think the vertical parallax (extra scope height) would be really pronounced in a pistol caliber carbine at varying distances.

After I finally replaced the "high rise" rings and dropped the scope height down to barely clear the bell of the scope from the barrel, things really settled down.
I think I see what you're saying. In the interest of clarification: parallax, sight height over bore, and bullet velocity (pistol caliber) are all separate phenomena, and have different effects. Sorting them out can be fun. ;)

My hunch regarding what you were experiencing when your scope was up high was inconsistent eye placement more than anything else. Having a scope (particularly a high-mounted one) almost always requires a high cheek pad to get a consistent cheek weld and eye placement behind the scope. Plus, when a scope's parallax adjustment is fixed or not set at the correct distance, small changes in eye position can produce seemingly random shot placements on the target.

My guess is that when you lowered the scope, your cheek bone got lower & closer to the comb of the stock, and your eye placement wound up being much more steady & consistent.

Of course, the other possibility was that something in the high-rise rings was loose or flexing.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

HarryAlonzo wrote:This is just a rant, but if I were King of the World, I’d make a 2.5X red dot with a 10 inch eye relief.
TruGlo makes a 2x red dot. I have 2 of them, one on my 44 Mag Henry big boy steel and one on my Marlin 38/55. I like them and so far they've held up.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Point452

Post by Point452 »

HarryAlonzo wrote:Sightmark M1A 2.5 X 20 is one that I know of. Is that a Skinner rail? That might be contributing to your problem. It’s further aft than the NOE rail.
It is the NOE rail. My scout scope just needs more rail.
“A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun.... Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

That looks like the Leapers UTG 2-7 with a 30mm tube?
I have a friend who has one of those on a M1A.

That's quite a bit of magnification for a scout scope and the form factor isn't great.
You have a VERY short section of tube before and after the turrets and large for and aft bells.
As a result the scope itself is not very flexible with respect to positioning of the rings.

It also looks like your cantilever mount is designed for the AR which more or less requires a extra high sighting plane. As a result of the height of the NOE rail plus the mount height you are getting way up there.
If you can find some cantilever rings instead of the cantilever unitized mount you might be able to find something in a low or even medium height that would match better to the gun. You are still probably going to have issues with that scope since the form factor locks your ring to scope location so firmly and the cantilever offset is limited.

There aren't a lot of illuminated options on scout scopes. Many of them use a 1" tube and a lot of them are designed to be a lot smaller and lighter than what you have there and as a result typically max out at about half that magnification.

I am currently running a Leupold fixed power on a Browning BLR. I don't remember right now if it is a 2.0 or 2.5 power.
Point452

Post by Point452 »

Archer wrote:That looks like the Leapers UTG 2-7 with a 30mm tube?
I have a friend who has one of those on a M1A.

That's quite a bit of magnification for a scout scope and the form factor isn't great.
You have a VERY short section of tube before and after the turrets and large for and aft bells.
As a result the scope itself is not very flexible with respect to positioning of the rings.

It also looks like your cantilever mount is designed for the AR which more or less requires a extra high sighting plane. As a result of the height of the NOE rail plus the mount height you are getting way up there.
If you can find some cantilever rings instead of the cantilever unitized mount you might be able to find something in a low or even medium height that would match better to the gun. You are still probably going to have issues with that scope since the form factor locks your ring to scope location so firmly and the cantilever offset is limited.

There aren't a lot of illuminated options on scout scopes. Many of them use a 1" tube and a lot of them are designed to be a lot smaller and lighter than what you have there and as a result typically max out at about half that magnification.

I am currently running a Leupold fixed power on a Browning BLR. I don't remember right now if it is a 2.0 or 2.5 power.
I like the idea of using low cantilever rings! The scope is the Leapers UTG 1-4, and it definitely has dimensions that make mounting on a short scout rail difficult.