Ejector spring

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Deleted User 4742

Re: Ejector spring

Post by Deleted User 4742 »

I cleaned up the lever detent's and they are now working properly. I also installed the Miroku ejector springs and couldn't be more pleased. My empty's no longer reach low earth orbit when ejected. Now they go slightly above my head and drop two feet to my right. Much better than the stock springs and better than the C-530 springs, In my opinion.
TexasJackKin

Post by TexasJackKin »

Did you just "clean it up" or shim the spring?
Mike M.
Dayton, NV
NRA Life member
Front Sight DG
NFC, CRPA, USPSA, AOPA, EAA, CCW: NV, AZ,CA
Yes, I'm Related to Texas Jack
Deleted User 4742

Post by Deleted User 4742 »

I polished the detent a bit and shimmed the spring, the lever stays in place great now.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

Put in the infamous C530 and its a bit weak in my R92/44mag. It just barely pops unfired or fired cases out. The "problem" is that the extractor is also very tight and/or needs just a little "fitting". There is another spring, a longer version of the C530, so I might splurge for some of those. It only needs to be just a little more than an RCH tighter.

Happy to report my detent works just as it oughta, no fiddlin' needed.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

I really wonder where stuff on the internet comes from sometime....

I measured the Rossi stock ejector spring. Mine measures .2475". Spring wire comes out to .040 on the dot. Didn't measure the length.

The oft suggested C530 spring is 7/32 which is .218ish, and the ones I got all measure .215 and I did measure length at really close to 1 inch (its hard to measure a compression spring with a caliper). Wire diameter is .020 on the dot.

And so I did a little lookseeinizing, and I found that compression springs are made slightly under-size on purpose, and are pretty much sized to "fit in a hole" of the size they spec'd at. Think of it like ammo in a chamber. The ammo is never actually chamber dimension, just few .001's under, to insure things insert ok.

I gotta conclude - the C530 ain't really the racehorse its claimed to be.

I've found some .250 (nominal, .246 spec claims) springs, with .030 wire gauge and 1" length. Will see how those puppies do and report back!
fayettefatts

Post by fayettefatts »

Please report back on your findings. I also used the C530 spring and think it is a bit weak. Better than the original though.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

I plan to! There are two places that I can see on the 'net that list 'em, but its probably a not too uncommon spring. If I can't find one locally, then I'll order 'em up.

This is a Goldilocks issue.
The stock spring is a brute of an item, a real grunt
The C530 is a snowflake, barely adequare

So, the search is for the spring that's "just right"