Couple of questions about a new to me 92

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
fayettefatts

Couple of questions about a new to me 92

Post by fayettefatts »

Recently bought an Interarms stainless saddle ring 357 with a 20" barrel. The rifle is in great shape. If it has been fired, it hasn't been fired much. I plan on just plinking with it.

One question I have concerns the serial number. It is 14xx of 2000. Is there anything special about this rifle or is it just another older 92?

The action is pretty stiff so I am going to start smoothing it up soon. I just plan on shimming the trigger spring, installing a reduced power ejector spring and polish any rough surfaces I find for now. Hopefully the weather will allow me to shoot it soon and I can decide if I want to do anything else to it.

From there, what changes will give me the best bang for the buck as far as smoothness is concerned?

TIA
GasGuzzler

Re: Couple of questions about a new to me 92

Post by GasGuzzler »

Need pics to confirm. There are about six generations of Rossi '92s. Not very many early Interarms rifles were stainless. Are sure it's the serial number you are referring to? Most times XX of XXX is separate from the serial number. My Interarms Amedeo Rossi has the serial number on the bottom of the receiver just behind the forearm and it's written laterally across from side to side.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
Being the happy owners of several Interarms Rossi rifles we just started operating the lever alot.
We did look inside the receivers to check for obvious leftover chips and stuff but running the lever took care of the stiffness which was not much.
I would make a couple dummy rounds before tearing it down and try things out.
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
fayettefatts

Post by fayettefatts »

GasGuzzler: Will try to get photos later. The serial number is stamped just as I posted it 14xx of 2000. It is on the bottom of the receiver just behind the forearm and runs lenghtwise from front to back. It is not stamped across the receiver from left to right. Also have the original box. The serial number on the box is 14xx.

Missionary: I've been working the action on this rifle also. I think it is improving. I tried feeding some 38 and 357 reloads that I have on hand. Some feed better than others. I'm sure I will have to address this when I start loading for it. You mention that your rifles weren't too stiff to begin with. Are they older or newer models? I thought I read that the newer ones were smoother.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I have yet to see an actual serial number like that so I can't wait for the pictures. There are so many variables with the R92s.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by rondog »

One thing I do is shorten the hammer spring by 1/4", seems to help a lot.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

rondog wrote:One thing I do is shorten the hammer spring by 1/4", seems to help a lot.
Of course with a used gun that's a minimum of ~10-20+ years old it may have been tweaked even if it looks Like New and comes with the Box or in other words LNIB may not mean it is mint unmodified.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I've seen serials on some of the guns running the same direction as the receiver/barrel axis as well as running side to side. I can't specifically point to Interarms marked guns with the lengthwise serial but I think I've seen 92s from that era with serials in up to three places across the front of the receiver, along the bottom and on the lower side of the receiver. My Braztech era guns have the serial running lengthwise on the bottom of the receiver.

I do recall seeing a lot of Winchester 94s marked with the serial side to side at the front bottom of the receiver. I have at least two marked like that. It was also one of the things mentioned in the NRA takedown conversion instructions that cutting back that flange might require moving/restamping the serial to another place on the receiver. Some of the late model Win 94s, post angle eject I think, had the serial at the side of the receiver. I've got two of those but I don't recall where the ones I have are marked.
fayettefatts

Post by fayettefatts »

Well I worked on the rifle yesterday. It was pretty rough. Took a lot longer than I thought. It turned out pretty good in my opinion. Much smoother than it was. I had to remove some material from the ejector and lifter, clean up some burrs, shim the trigger spring and replace the ejector spring. Now I'm ready to take it to the range when the weather co-operates.

I did take a picture of the serial number and a lot of the parts. the parts are all stamped 607 except the buttstock which is stamped 351. Here is the SN:
serial number.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.