480 Ruger

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
mrackerm

480 Ruger

Post by mrackerm »

Can someone advise on the current value of the Rossi 1892 chambered for 480 Ruger? I realize these are extremely rare. A search of completed auctions on Gunbroker revealed no useful information and I tried to search this forum but the search feature kept telling me my search terms were too common (I have no idea what terms it would find acceptable). With prices for any firearm (those that actually sell) being greatly inflated, I have no idea what the 480 would be worth these days.
GasGuzzler

Re: 480 Ruger

Post by GasGuzzler »

They were selling in the $1700 range before all the craziness that made a $100 Marlin 60 sell for $350 so I'd say at least $2500...?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I'm going to play devil's advocate on this.

1) It is worth whatever you can get someone to pay for it.

2) It might be worth more if you are selling it with a box or three of ammo, dies, brass, bullets.

3) People who want this caliber are probably going to be interested BUT ammo is running slim like all other calibers and if you can find it expect $3 a round for run of the mill ammo to $5+ a round for specialty lead free hunting ammo.

I wonder if this caliber carbine has increased in price at the same rate as more popular weapons given that in this case about the only thing that has changed with regard to this is ammo has gotten more scarce. This is really a hunting carbine and not really a self defense caliber or weapon. I don't think the price has gone down, although that CAN happen if ammo really gets impossible to find. I just don't think this weapon has increased as much as more popular weapons that weren't already high dollar collector's items before the crazy.

The Marlin 60 increase might have been helped by Ruger buying Marlin from dead Remington and some folks speculating that Ruger might kill the model as well as the crazy.

Trying to price a rare ish item during a panic buying situation is pretty darned hard. It may be easier to price your buyer than it is to price the gun. IF you are buying in a panic you have to decide how bad you want it and whether you think it is going to come around again and how bad you are going to regret it if you never manage to pick one up or if it takes you another ten years to get there.
mrackerm

Post by mrackerm »

Thank you for the advice. I have one I am contemplating selling as I find myself in need of cash at the moment and am not sure what to ask for it, and even more unsure if I can actually let it go. I have had it for 5 years this May and have never even shot it (I bought it from someone who claimed to be the original owner). I always intended to purchase ammo and try it out but it was never a priority and now, other than the true specialty loaders, no ammo can be found. Maybe it is time to part company with it, but then again, maybe not. A hard decision indeed.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

With only 100 out there, I think it will sell. I would sell it on GunBroker for what GG suggested. Somewhere someone is willing to pay more than an individual wandering into a store where it is on consignment or through a face to face transaction via ArmsList. My FFL consigns firearms for 10% of the sale price. He has them for sale in his store but takes care of everything to list them on GunBroker. Once they have a bid, he removes them from the display. There is no doubt all my firearms have sold for more than they would have locally, and with no worry or effort on my behalf. He has dealt with the various buyer problems that are out there; he is used to it.

I sell all kinds of stuff on consignment, always been worth the fee to me. I just sold 100K worth of farm equipment that way; the guy did it in a week. I could never have pulled that off and don't want to think of dealing with all the people he did. Heck, I just sold my ranch on consignment, I won't go into the value of that, but it will be done in three weeks from start to finish.
Michael
mrackerm

Post by mrackerm »

Thanks for that info as well, Ranch Dog. I have never sold on GunBroker, only bought a few things. I will probably need to figure out how to sell there in the coming days. I am sort of attached to the rifle, but I do have a pending problem that can only be solved with an infusion of cash.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

10% is a really good rate for consignment especially with internet listing. I've seen some shops charge 30%.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Archer wrote:10% is a really good rate for consignment especially with internet listing. I've seen some shops charge 30%.
That would suck. My guy is all about internet sales. He would prefer no one walking in but doesn't say that. He charges $25 for a transfer and does enough to have a better income than any over the counter gun store owner I've met.
Michael
LowKey

Post by LowKey »

Ranch Dog wrote:Heck, I just sold my ranch on consignment
Greener pastures ahead?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

No, just too many rifles. Yeah, you can have too many.
Michael