480 Ruger

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
LowKey

Re: 480 Ruger

Post by LowKey »

Ah, the rifle, not the homestead.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

LowKey wrote:Ah, the rifle, not the homestead.
I sold my ranch in February and moved to a home on acreage near Victoria. I had always had an "exit strategy," I didn't want to get old there. I've seen all my neighbors work themselves to death and be miserable in the process. I wanted to leave by 70, I will be 67, and I had a lot of time to think about it during my hospital stay with COVID. When my wife picked me up from the hospital, I told her I was done (honestly, I did not even want to go home because the work NEVER stops).

My ranch was selected as the Conservation Property of the Year for South Texas in 2020. I'm not sure how I got selected; I just got a call. I didn't think much of the call while I was standing in the John Deere dealer spending money (yeah, the land takes a lot of that too). It was a big dealt though, my property was the one selected out of 50 counties, and there are a lot of big ranches that throw a lot of money at an effort to claim something like this. I don't; I work hard every day; the ax, plow, fire thing. Anyway, I figured it might be the time to sell, given the year. I put a high price on the place, and the first buyer that showed up spent an hour looking at it and bought it at my asking price.

The new place is private and secluded. It one of eleven properties in a gated community; all the properties are on acreage. The home is back from the road into the place, all you see is woods. It a mini-Me of the ranch without the feral hogs. I hope I never see another. My final tally was 1263 hogs. That's taken with a pistol, shotgun, or rifle, not trapped. That's enough.
TOaks_03.jpg
TOaks_02.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Sounds like a great setup! Best of luck in the new digs!
LowKey

Post by LowKey »

Congratulations on your beautiful new Mini-Ranch and The Conservation Award! The award is a fitting acknowledgment and recognition for your hard work and stewardship of the land. Very impressive, and well done!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thanks fellows!
Michael