What would do this to breach bolt face?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Dutch Oven

What would do this to breach bolt face?

Post by Dutch Oven »

Hi. I'm sharing a pic of the damage to my m92 .357 breach bolt face. Have only fired standard pressure factory ammo - no reloads. Any one know what might have caused this? I'm sending it back to Rossi to have it repaired/replaced even though it's out of warranty - they won't just send me a breach bolt. Thanks in advance for any help, advice, criticism, or sympathy. UPDATE: Some were kind enough to suggest it might be the result of the extractor being gone, but I only removed it to clean the the rifle. Also added a second pic with the ejector - a little blurry. 2nd UPDATE: Wondering if it's safe to shoot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Dutch Oven on 06 Feb 2021 12:52, edited 3 times in total.
runfiverun
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: What would do this to breach bolt face?

Post by runfiverun »

it looks like your missing the ejector.
my guess is it come apart and hammered the bolt face while trying to chamber a round or two.

from what I can see from the pic.
I would try for a new ejector and spring then clean everything up and put it all back together.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I surely would not send the rifle in for that.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

runfiverun wrote:it looks like your missing the ejector.
my guess is it come apart and hammered the bolt face while trying to chamber a round or two.
My guess as well. Did you recover the ejector (32), spring (33), and collar (34)? Is the Ejector stop (30) still in place and not broken? If it is in place, are the two pins (31) secure and preventing the part from wiggling?

runfiverun wrote:I would try for a new ejector and spring, then clean everything up and put it all back together.
If you have everything in hand, I would polish up the bolt face and carry on. If not, and if Rossi will provide for the shipping both ways, I'd send it to them. Parts are about $70 plus the shipping, but the ejector requires patience to fit.

Another thought in deciding what to do is that many buyers would not be interested in it because of the bolt face if you plan to sell the rifle. I bet you would take at least a $100 hit on the price.
Michael
Dutch Oven

Post by Dutch Oven »

Thanks for the input, but I removed the ejector for cleaning. I have a pic with the injector in place, but didn't load it.
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Gunny268 »

Dutch - looks like the bolt got stuck and somebody beat on it with a cleaning rod. I've seen those exact same type of marks on M16 bolt faces after some knuckleheads (yes, more than few) didn't clean their rifles after qual. They let them sit in the armory for almost a week before they went back to clean them. They weren't able to open the bolt by pulling on the charging handle, so they stuck a cleaning rod (steel military issue) down the barrel and beat it with the butt of the lower receiver til they got it to unlock the bolt.

Not sure about the "crater rim" around the firing pin hole.
Dutch Oven

Post by Dutch Oven »

Gunny 268, great story. Hope those guys treated their kids better than they treated their guns. This thing has never been out of my possession and I've never had the occasion to even try such a thing. I was wondering if it might be faulty primers even though I've only used factory ammo. Maybe head space issues?
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Gunny268 »

Is it possible the bolt face had those dings when you got it and just didn't notice them till now?
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

The cratering around the firing pin hole could be pierced primers.
I have heard of some issues with Winchester primers a few years back but I really wouldn't expect the other marks from that.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I can believe someone would beat on a cleaning rod down the barrel on the breach face.
I have problems believing it would do them any good as far as unlocking the bolt goes since they absolutely have to get the bolt lugs out of line with the chamber extension lugs and the only way to do that is to TURN the bolt. Hammering on a cleaning rod and the forward assist (if any) alternately MIGHT help break loose any seized smutt on the bolt but you really have to MOVE the carrier and get the cam pin to rotate the bolt. Better to use a section of the rod bearing against the carrier through the bottom of the upper