Lubricating a Rossi

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Shotgun Willie

Lubricating a Rossi

Post by Shotgun Willie »

What's your favorite lubrication for your Rossi? Does anyone use white lithium grease?
"Shotgun Willie sits around in his underwear....bitin' on a bullet and pullin' out all of his hair..."
Willie Nelson
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: Lubricating a Rossi

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Right now I'm using Hoppes' Black Label grease and oil and all of my guns. I particularly like the grease as it tends to stay where I put it.

Male smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I've mostly been using Slip2000 EWL for oil and either Slip2000 or Tetra for grease.
I tend to prefer white or clear grease for handguns since it is easier to wash out of clothes if it gets on them.
With rifles I used to use gunslick quite a bit but as seems to be a graphite suspension in oil it can be obvious if it gets on your clothes. Moved to the Tetra and Hoppe's gun oil. Got sucked into the Slip2000 when it seemed to work pretty darned well on the ARs regardless of how dirty they got.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Can't believe I'm falling for this but I use automotive wheel bearing grease when grease is needed.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Grease application in firearms is a religious argument. Count me as an Atheist.

In my opinion, grease is intended for closed systems with high speed, high pressure, high temperature contacts, and rare maintenance. A firearm receiver is none of those things. For the most part, grease application in a firearm is merely overkill, so knock yourself out. My only caution is that grease will collect particles in a receiver, which may induce a failure or accelerate wear.

I don’t even use grease in my Garand, where I’m supposed to.
zippy
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by zippy »

I use Hoppes' for oiling static surfaces, and Mil-Comm TW25B for friction, lubing moving metal parts in contact with other metal parts. The TW25B is very slick, stays where you put it, even when hot, and seems to repel dirt.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Mil-Comm TW25B last time I used it had similar properties to the Tetra maybe a little better. I haven't made a point to search it out but at least a couple of my pistols came with sample packs of it.

I tend to use the EWL oil for most lubrication. I got hooked on it when I was working at the shop and the guy who owned the shop tried various lubrication products on his ARs without cleaning them. The EWL didn't tack up, didn't attract dirt and kept running in all kinds of weather. He supplied the stuff by the case to his BiL who was then deployed in the Middle East and the reports he got back was it kept their guns running and solved problems for some of the guys they were embedded with as well.

As zippy states a grease will tend to stay where you put it. That said some of the stuff I have used tends to be a thinner application than most it stays more localized than an oil but isn't as thick as most greases. With any lube you have to be aware of how quickly it may dry out and need to be removed and replaced. I tend to use grease on slide rails and maybe on the sliding surfaces of the barrel in semi autos but I tend to use the EWL just on just about everything else.

All bets are off when you get outside the normal temps. I've seen BLO stocks weep at 105 degrees. Rem Oil is so thin it evaporates at normal room temps. The grease issued for use on the Garand gets so thick in freezing weather the guns don't want to operate. The stories about using hair oil on them in Korea instead I had from my uncle who carried one there. In a sandy environment it was sometimes better to leave off the lube on a Garand or a 1911 than risk the lube attracting sand/dust that would jam the gun. When dealing with cold weather, expecting temps below freezing I ditch the grease and use a light coat of the EWL instead.

Long term storage I may use a Moisture Displacement Lube. I try to do that ONLY on the outside surfaces and maybe the inside of the barrel. There are some sold for firearms specifically but I think they are mostly just WD40 repackaged with a different label. The problem with any of these is you MUST strip them completely out of the gun and that may take a complete tear down of the gun and a detailed cleaning of EVERY part because they tend to run into everything including the internal parts. They also turn to an almost varnish like consistency as the carrier dries out so they act like glue. I once purchased a Remington 700 that the take down latch was glued stuck by something like this and it literally had to be smacked with a punch to break it free from the varnish.

THIS is about the best article I've seen on firearms lubrication:
http://www.cylinder-slide.com/cleaning.shtml
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I don't lay my guns in the dirt, there is no snow here, rust is a non-issue, and grease of any kid nearly (it really doesn't matter much what kind) always helps here.The comment about grease and religion is 100% true regardless whether you're an atheist or not because it really doesn't matter what kind of grease you use. Sorry for being rude but that was my original point. The "non-believer" portion is yet another opinion but if you use grease (guess I do), it's fine to use whatever (here) and I doubt anyone will change their mind (as stated above comparing to religion). I'm rambling...
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
9x80Drilling

Post by 9x80Drilling »

zippy, good to see you writing again. It seems like a very long time since you last posted.
Deleted User 5041

Post by Deleted User 5041 »

I use Honda Moly 60 Paste. I had a half a tube left over after I sold my motorcycle.