Lubricating a Rossi

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Lubricating a Rossi

Post by Gunny268 »

Grease is only for the bolt roller on my M1A. A good gun oil for everything else. For quite a while now my days round count is way less than they were in Al-Kut and Tikrit
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by rondog »

Mobil One synthetic grease. Thin coat, applied with a brush. "If it slides, grease it. If it rolls, oil it."
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

Archer wrote:I've mostly been using Slip2000 EWL for oil and either Slip2000 or Tetra for grease..
Have you been in my garage? The Slip2000 stuff is crazy good.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I've given a couple starter kits to a couple friends.
One of them called me up after using some of The EWL on his 1911 for the first time to tell me it was 'super slippery'.
Shotgun Willie

Post by Shotgun Willie »

Many thanks to all of you for the replies and the advice. I use Beak-Free CLP on all my guns and it has always worked well for me. I use it liberally on my ARs because I like to run them pretty wet. I lubed the Rossi with it but I also greased the bolt where it contacts the locking bolts with a little "mystery grease". It's a light white grease that came with my home gym to use when I assembled it and it's really slick. Still don't know what it is though.
"Shotgun Willie sits around in his underwear....bitin' on a bullet and pullin' out all of his hair..."
Willie Nelson
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Gunny268 »

Hey Archer and Golfish. You guys have got me interested in the Slip2000 lubes. Any comments on the Carbon Killer? Will it work on lead in the bore?
Dutch Oven

Post by Dutch Oven »

I use Weapon Shield. A little goes a long way and it's not supposed to damage the wood if it soaks in over time like mineral oil based lubes. They're calling it a clp now but I use dedicated solvents for serious cleaning.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Gunny268 wrote:Hey Archer and Golfish. You guys have got me interested in the Slip2000 lubes. Any comments on the Carbon Killer? Will it work on lead in the bore?
The carbon cutter is good stuff and I use it as a bore cleaner but I don't know as I'd recommend it particularly for heavy lead buildup. Ranch Dog posted this thread on lead removal using Shooter's Choice
https://rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.ph ... val#p50347
Works very well.

Both the Carbon Cutter and many of the Shooter's Choice products are NOT to be left to soak on or dry on the gun and the CC is not recommended for use on anodized surfaces. IF you are looking for something to soak gun parts in then I would say Hoppe's #9 can be left in the bore and wiped out a day or two later. Kerosene makes a good immersion agent but you have to be aware of the flammability and fuming. MPro7 can also be used as an immersion agent and can be used in an ultrasonic. You have to be careful using an ultrasonic on annodize or aluminum parts. The Slip degreaser and the Carbon Cutter will remove all traces of lubricant and you need to put a think coat of lube back on the gun after using them.