Rossi no drill rail opinions

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
trekker

Rossi no drill rail opinions

Post by trekker »

Fellas looking to put on of these on a rossi 92 20" stainless 357. Anyone have one or thoughts in general? Do they just go right on as easy as it seems?

Nashville Stage

Re: Rossi no drill rail opinions

Post by Nashville Stage »

I don't have any personal experience with that exact mount, though it looks like it should work fine, particularly for non-tapped barrels.

Also, here are a few alternatives that might interest you:

If your Rossi has tapped holes under the rear sight, then the Skinner rail would be a less bulky option.

http://skinnersights.com/rossi_firearms_23.html

NOE also makes a rail, and they have a silver option unlike the Skinner model.

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop/sc ... 92-silver/

NOE's website is a mess, though; I'd suggest giving them a call or an email.

801-377-7289 noebulletmoulds@gmail.com
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

The pre-safety rifles don't have drilled receivers at least I've never seen one. The only was to know is knock the sight out and see I guess...

If it has a safety AND the front sight is in a dovetail it's probably drilled and tapped.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I think that rail IS designed to work with the drilled and tapped barrel.
Based on the shadow it has several round holes drilled through it for fasteners to hold it in place.

I do not think that rail will necessarily work with the octagonal barrel. I'm not sure I think they may have made one that did but it may require drilling and tapping the barrel.
Nashville Stage

Archer wrote:I think that rail IS designed to work with the drilled and tapped barrel.
Based on the shadow it has several round holes drilled through it for fasteners to hold it in place.
On Pearson's site, they show the rest of the hardware that comes with the rail. It includes a separate key piece that fits in the rear sight dovetail, and is tapped to receive a screw through one of those holes. The holes are advertised to fit the spacing of several different lengths for the rear sight.

I don't think they would fit directly into the factory tapped holes on the barrel, since the pattern of holes on the rail doesn't seem to match the pattern of holes on the barrel.

Trekker mentioned that his rifle was a stainless 357, so I assumed it was current production and likely had a round barrel that was tapped.

Did Rossi ever make any stainless rifles with octagonal shape barrels?
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Did Rossi ever make any stainless rifles with octagonal shape barrels?
I have a 24" one sitting not 20 feet from me right now.
trekker

Post by trekker »

I had a 24" stainless octagonal as well, pre-safety. Best we could work out was production sometime around year 2000.
trekker

Post by trekker »

Nashville Stage wrote:
I don't think they would fit directly into the factory tapped holes on the barrel, since the pattern of holes on the rail doesn't seem to match the pattern of holes on the barrel.
So what is needed to get it fitted to a new Rossi then?
Nashville Stage

trekker wrote: So what is needed to get it fitted to a new Rossi then?
Look here:
https://mod94scoperail.com/Alum-Fixture-92-p248915041

Look through the photos and the description.

Also, see my last post. It looks like there's a piece that fits in the dovetail.
MrO17

Post by MrO17 »

I have one installed on my 44 mag Puma pre safety. The hardest part will be the fitting of the adapter that goes into dovetail on barrel. According to a my email I with Steve’s Gunz, the pre safety dovetail Is .400. Current dovetail is smaller, so it will be loose in dovetail. I had to use feeler gauge shims to secure base in dovetail.

You have it already , try it and see how you like it. It will give you new project. the rear sight comes out easy. I think but please check , it comes out from left to right barrel facing away from yo. The rail can also be used as rear sight. Worst case Steve’s web site has options.
I do not like the red dot I put on it, so still a work in progress. I found I had to put a higher comb on the stock to get a check weld I liked. Red dot height is trial and error. Going to try Reflex sight next.
Just picked up new 357 m92. The rear buckhorn sight is a lot better than the sight on my puma. It actually lets me see the front sight better. Steve’s has a hi-viz fiber optic I may have to get. Check it out.
He also can work with your sight to help you get what you need.

Jay