Clarification on rail mounts and new Rossi 1892's

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
trekker

Clarification on rail mounts and new Rossi 1892's

Post by trekker »

Fellas I posted this on the high road a while back. Seemed to be differing opinions as to the easiest way to get a rail mounted in scout position on a round barrel 1892. From what I can gather the two schools of thought seemed to be.

1. The old Rossi aftermarket pic rail or new NOE version can be bolted straight on

2. Holes may not be threaded well or may require shimming to get elevation needed.

Thread here.
https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?t ... t-11755843

Thought it might be an interesting read, as well as a chance to get opinions.
MrO17

Re: Clarification on rail mounts and new Rossi 1892's

Post by MrO17 »

Feel your pain with old eyes . Everything’s a blur at arms length, LOL. Looking to put a scout or reflex on a pre-safety 44 mag. Do not want to pull rear sight until I have options. Any suggestions? Has barrel band front sight.

Jay
trekker

Post by trekker »

Wish I could help. pretty new at Rossi's myelf. The thread I started at high road didnt really solidify the best options to my mind either. Hoping some of the fellas here might weigh in.
trekker

Post by trekker »

Doing more searches here and some threads and pictures showing the NOE mount, some apparently dont have great fit to the barrels.

Might just find a good gunsmith to choose a rail and machine what he needs to get it fitted. I am too unskilled and generally impatient to go fooling about with this sort of stuff.

gee I like little rossi 92's but as my posting history shows the continual aftermarket smoothing, fixes and stuff does tent to cause some hair pulling. even the guys making aftermarket rails cant nail the bloody product specs properly.

Now Im cursing in full Australian, time to have a beer and come back later. :lol:
Nashville Stage

Post by Nashville Stage »

I have an NOE rail. It fits just fine on my 20" round barrel R92. The threads under the rear sight were perfectly cut & tapped from the factory. No shims needed.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Nashville Stage wrote:I have an NOE rail. It fits just fine on my 20" round barrel R92. The threads under the rear sight were perfectly cut & tapped from the factory. No shims needed.

ditto

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
trekker

Post by trekker »

P89DC

Post by P89DC »

I used the NOE rail on 16" R92. Threads and fit were perfectly functional. I didn't see anyone in the high road thread that had issues with the NOE rail on a round barreled, 16" or 20".
44mag and 357mag are my choices for rifle/revolver cartridges.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

None of the rails should be threaded. The rifle barrel is threaded and it is nearly impossible to thread from one block of metal to another without creating a problem especially when the two blocks are threaded separately. Any issues with the threads is typically a matter of cleaning out the holes on the Rossi. I don't think Rossi installs plug screws so it is possible that any rust inhibitor, finish by product or general lint and %@*&$ can get in the holes although they are mostly covered by the rear sight assembly. It is always a good idea to chase the threads with a tap to clean out the threads and make certain any damage to the threaded holes is straightened out. It is always possible that the threads in the hole might have a problem during manufacture say with worn taps/cutters but it is rare. I have seen one rifle NIB from the factory with a 'tight' threaded hole. It was NOT a Rossi.

The Rossi rail is much thinner than the NOE rail and has been reported as being made from mild aluminum where the heat treatment may not be sufficient for the loads it may see. I think RD has mentioned bedding the mount to the barrel to improve the contact and help share the load. Such bedding on the NOE rail can't hurt but the NOE rail is made from better material with better heat treat resulting in a stronger attachment as the fasteners are much less likely to pull through the rail. If you look at the pics in the posted link above you can see how bedding might be preferred. You just have to make certain you don't get the bedding compound on anything you don't want it on and that you release everything you don't want it to stick to.

Neither the Rossi nor the NOE mount fit the octagonal barreled guns.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

ETA - original R92's are not drilled or tapped.

I don't want or need anything changed out or added on mine so these "frustrations" are only for those modifying their rifles. Pre-safety Rossis have a metal follower and a better rear sight ... the three things that are first to get modded in most cases on the newer versionS.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.