New R92 cracked

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
GasGuzzler

Re: New R92 cracked

Post by GasGuzzler »

Not a return for repair ... a return for exchange.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:Not a return for repair ... a return for exchange.
Agree with this. There is no repair to be done. The rifle needs to be scrapped.
Michael
Roknstevo

Post by Roknstevo »

Where did you buy it? If local, return it to them to handle replacement. Stuff happens, and I’m sure that Rossi doesn’t want you to be shooting one of their rifles in that condition. I own an R92 and it’s an excellent rifle. Don’t understand your reticence in having it replaced. Just do it, and be done with it.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Ranch Dog wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:Not a return for repair ... a return for exchange.
Agree with this. There is no repair to be done. The rifle needs to be scrapped.
While I agree with the line of thought, typically the manufacturer has the option of repair or replacement. I don't think Rossi USA has the capability of repairing it. In all honesty I doubt Rossi would bother to try and fix it at the factory as a rule. I have seen gunsmith repairs that involved welding up a part and then re machining it to the new desired shape. 1911 rear sight cuts for example when the owner desired to replace a BoMar with a Novak rear sight in one case. This was before cerakote caught on and that welded area may never have matched the rest of the gun even after refinishing it.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

No options were discussed in the quote. Rossi won't let you choose but the owner should demand replacement when the main receiver is cracked.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by rondog »

How the hell did it get broken there in the first place.......
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Just my WAG.... but could have happened in an overly tight receiver vise while over torqueing the barrel when clocking it in the factory.

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

If it doesn't fit force it or get a bigger hammer!!!

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

rondog wrote:How the hell did it get broken there in the first place.......
No way to tell but the material may have had a flaw in it before it was ever machined.
It could have been stressed while putting the barrel on or dropped after being machined or someone might have pried on the trigger opening during assembly. It could even have LOOKED perfectly fine but become sprung or fully cracked by thermal cycling during transport or storage in the warehouse.

It also could be a problem that was perfectly obvious at the factory but hidden by the worker or workers who could have been responsible for it or ignored because they didn't want to be blamed for it or because the manufacturing had passed the point at which the company may have had to pay the government taxes for having produced a firearm or other paperwork associated with destroying the receiver etc..