Picatinny rail on an octagonal barrel?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
P89DC

Picatinny rail on an octagonal barrel?

Post by P89DC »

I have the NOE mount on a 16" round barrel and now I want to mount a Picatinny rail on the 24" octagonal barrel. Anyone done this? Rather than machine a Picatinny rail to conform to the sides of the barrel I think I'll use JB Weld to bed a flat rail 9n the barrel.

Thoughts?
44mag and 357mag are my choices for rifle/revolver cartridges.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: Picatinny rail on an octagonal barrel?

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

P89DC wrote:I have the NOE mount on a 16" round barrel and now I want to mount a Picatinny rail on the 24" octagonal barrel. Anyone done this? Rather than machine a Picatinny rail to conform to the sides of the barrel I think I'll use JB Weld to bed a flat rail 9n the barrel.

Thoughts?
That would be one approach. I've never done anything with JB Weld so can't speak to how it would hold up. The other approach might be to get a piece of flat bottom rail drill and counter bore 3 or 4 holes the drill and tap the barrel. That would be my approach if I wanted a rail on my 45 Colt. Let us know what you decide and how it works out.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
runfiverun
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by runfiverun »

I'd sure want to use that dove tail right there, and just a set screw to put some tension on things should be enough to lock everything in place.
it would be re/moveable without too much bother too.

JB weld is good stuff but I don't know about it holding two flat mating surfaces together under any sort of side torque, like a rifle tipping over.
P89DC

Post by P89DC »

I wasn't clear, sorry. I'm going to drill and tap the barrel and mount a flat picatinny rail to the octagonal barrel. Then I'll bed the rail to conform to the three sides of the barrel. JB Weld works great for bedding actions into stocks.
44mag and 357mag are my choices for rifle/revolver cartridges.