Steve's Peep sight threads

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Blind Hawg

Steve's Peep sight threads

Post by Blind Hawg »

Skinner sells a rear sight drilled & tapped to hold a spare peep aperture. I have Steve's safety replacement sight. I would like to install a dovetail rear sight like Skinner's drlled & tapped for Steve's aperture. Can someone tell me what the threads are on the aperture? Its not an inch thread fine or course. I suspect a proprietary threading.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Steve's Peep sight threads

Post by Archer »

Proprietary threading is stupid. Costs you out the ying yang because you essentially have to buy the tooling to do it for your manufacturer. For small manufacturing lots like Steve is having done it simply would not be practical. Even when you want a 'standard' threading that is not common you will end up having to buy the tooling most of the time.
I don't know what he's using but you can almost bet the farm that it's a standard thread in common use
(My use of 'standard' above means non-custom whether it is one of the Inch/US/Imperial spec or metric spec.)
Blind Hawg

Post by Blind Hawg »

I agree. I went to local Ace Hdwe store to match up the threads with what they had expecting something like 10-32 or similar metric threads. At one point thinking about using a socket head cap screw drilled out to avoid paying Steve $18.00 for extra apertures.
Blind Hawg

Post by Blind Hawg »

Thread major diameter is appx .210", that'd make it a no. 12 machine screw. Pitch is tough. I count 4 or 5 threads in about 1/8". Best guess would be no.
12-32 or 12-40 TPI.
Blind Hawg

Post by Blind Hawg »

It's a no.12 alright. The pitch is 36 TPI, UNS Unified national special. It's a very common thread actually. The Schrader valve in your car tires use are threaded 12-36.
Blind Hawg

Post by Blind Hawg »

Skinner list theirs as 12-40
Blind Hawg

Post by Blind Hawg »

End of thread. Skinner & Steve's apertures are threads.