replicate original finish?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
LDT63

replicate original finish?

Post by LDT63 »

I already put a nice scuff on the forearm of my 92.

I've seen lots of info about changing the original finish but haven't seen anything about replicating the original finish. Has anybody found a stain or finish that looks like the original?

Other option is to find another forearm and replace. Do any shops have factory takeoff wood or anybody have one they removed from their rifle?
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: replicate original finish?

Post by Archer »

I don't expect you will have a lot of luck with take off wood.
There simply aren't a lot of options for replacement stocks/fore end parts although Boyd's makes a Rossi 92 laminate stock set it apparently only fits the 44/45 versions.

You might try scratching the INSIDE of the wood and see whether or not a match attempt works out before you do the outside. OR you could pick something you think is going to be close hit it and try to blend it in as you go. OR you can leave it and let nature take it's course with skin oils and general wear, possibly additional accidental wear form naturally age it.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Post a picture. There are a hundred ways to hide an oops.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
ethang

Post by ethang »

it's a scratch from use..it happens..gives you a good excuse to pull the wood and put a nice hand rubbed oil finish on it.
Plastic has no soul...
runfiverun
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by runfiverun »

depends on the wood.
I have everything from beech looking to grade 2 walnut on my guns with some maybe it was motor oil? thrown in for good measure, and that's just the 92's.
I'd probably rub some spit and dirt on one of mine, or maybe a few drops of urethane/tru-oil/super glue or whatever I found first on the shelf that looked close [shrug]