New gun, new member, new questions

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
MohaveBill

New gun, new member, new questions

Post by MohaveBill »

Howdy!

I had a 16" Rossi years ago that was not very impressive, cycled rough and sights could not be adjusted properly. I loved it anyway, but traded it off.

I recently bought a new one with a 20" bbl. I almost bought a bunch of parts from Stevesgunz before I even picked the gun up, but managed to hold off until I shot it.

Man O man, Rossi has improved!

This thing cycles smoooooth...bulk 38s to 357 JHPs and leverevolutions...and POI=POA is achievable. Nice. I don't feel like I need the tune up kit at all.
2" group at 50y over carpeted 2x4, 6/6 hits on 100y 10" plate shooting off hand (cheating - braced against roof support) but it's hard to pick up the sights quickly or with a dark background using these 50yo eyes so I'm looking to mount my FastFireIII for an upcoming javelina junt.

Looking for opinions on the single-slot dovetail rail offered by Stevesgunz...and other mounting ideas if you have them.

Anybody?
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: New gun, new member, new questions

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Welcome from Red Rock Country!

The Pic rail from NOE is a bit of an overkill for a a Fastfire, but sure more solid. Skinner makes a Pic rail that isn’t positioned very well for scout scopes, but would do fine for a red dot.
MohaveBill

Post by MohaveBill »

Hey Harry, I can see your county from my house!

I thank you for the Skinner info, had not found those in my searching but ordered one after your reply.

Javelina won't stand a chance now.

I have some 158gr and 180gr XTPs I was using with sabots in a 45 cal muzzleloader. Time to work up a load.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Welcome,

Before and after pictures required on the mod.
Deleted User 327

Post by Deleted User 327 »

If your Rossi has the bolt top safety, you could opt for Steve's Peep Sight option. I've had my 20" .357mag carbine since 2009 and up until early this year, I used his plug after I removed the stupid safety. However, at 73, the eyes just needed some serious help as the sights had both grown a ton of fuzz.

So, I opted for Steve's peep sight kit and added a .040" aperture for precision plinking at the range as well as a .070" aperture for general shooting. A small aperture close to your eye dramatically increases the Depth of Field (DoF) which is defined as the distance from your eye where everything is in focus.

It's not uncommon for a .040" aperture held close to your eye to cause a dramatic increase in your vision. Without an aperture, I can barely see the front sight and the target at all with my glasses as both are just a blur but sighting through the small aperture they both magically appear clear as a bell. Check out Wikipedia on DoF.

With the target .040" aperture my sights have lost all their fuzz and I can clearly see both the front sight and target even if it's at 200 yds. The .070" aperture still gives a much clearer picture and would be great for hunting during the day. In addition, moving the sight back 6" to the rear of the bolt gives you and increased sight radius to 22" for much more precision shooting. All in all it's a win-win.

MohaveBill

Post by MohaveBill »

I was reluctant to go with that rear peep because I routinely deal with rod ends, etc at work that are similarly "adjustable" and would want finer threads.
You like yours though, maybe after my hunt in February.
GSB4243

Post by GSB4243 »

Here was my solution to old eyes, the Marbles bullseye sight. For me it was a simple swap out because the center of the bullseye happened to be the same height as my buckhorn sight "v" bottom. It was on from the first shot at 50 yds and I have about the same accuracy as you mentioned.
IMG_6655.jpg
IMG_6654.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

I like those Marbles Bullseye sights. Have them installed on three levers. I had to find a taller ramp for at least one rifle tho.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

I put the NOE rail on my .44 mag R92 and am totally satisfied. Currently using a Weaver Scout scope but since getting a bit of old man eye ball adjustment I've considered holo sight or red dot sight. Either way, the NOE rail has been a great addition in my opinion.

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

Another like for those bullseye sights.