R92 44 Mag Failure to fire

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
jisco43

R92 44 Mag Failure to fire

Post by jisco43 »

Need some advice / opinions.
I've had my rifle since July and reload cast bullets for it. Today I experienced my first problem. Out of 16 rounds I experienced 4 misfires. 2 with 4227 and 2 with 2400. The primers are CCI Number 300. Today here in Southern Ohio it was 53 degrees when I was trying out some rounds that I had seated and crimped at 1.605. The 4 rounds that failed to ignite all had what appeared to be struck to the same depth as the 12 that did fire. Any ideas on what may be the problem would be greatly appreciated. I've been reloading for various calibers since 1984 and have never had this happen. Thanks for your time!
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: R92 44 Mag Failure to fire

Post by golfish »

jisco43 wrote:Need some advice / opinions.
I've had my rifle since July and reload cast bullets for it. Today I experienced my first problem. Out of 16 rounds I experienced 4 misfires. 2 with 4227 and 2 with 2400. The primers are CCI Number 300. Today here in Southern Ohio it was 53 degrees when I was trying out some rounds that I had seated and crimped at 1.605. The 4 rounds that failed to ignite all had what appeared to be struck to the same depth as the 12 that did fire. Any ideas on what may be the problem would be greatly appreciated. I've been reloading for various calibers since 1984 and have never had this happen. Thanks for your time!
Sorry to hear about your problem. Did you chamber the duds for a second time to see if they would work?
Sarge
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Sarge »

I can't tell you how many thousand CCI 300s I've loaded over the past 15 years but they all went BANG and a bunch of them worked fine in a couple of R92 45 Colts. Do you have reason to suspect your primers may have gotten fouled?
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Second one to wonder if the primers got contaminated somehow?

Is it at all possible that the flash holes in the brass were pluged with media?
Maybe the brass didn't have flash holes punched in the first place or otherwise fouled the flash path?
It isn't likely for the flash to be blocked, I've got a case where the flash hole was not completely punched out and has only a tiny rip into the inside of the case but it still fired.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

For the last 10 years of my re-loading experience had I've dozens of fail to fire (on first strike). In my case, with my R92's, it's always been primer related. In every case it seems to have been due to primers not being fully seated. First few times it happened I did eject the cartridge to look at the primer strike, and sure enough it did have what appeared to be a sufficient "strike" .... then ran it through again and all was well. From then on when it seemed to happen I just pulled the re-cocked the hammer and all was well.

Also, I've found that if my primer pockets themselves are a bit crusty that the primers may not get fully seated when reloading. A lot more attention to the condition of the primer pocket as well as fully seating the primers has been a major consideration around here for the last 2-3 years.

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
jisco43

Post by jisco43 »

No reason that the primers were fouled. I cleaned the primer pockets quite well and did nothing any different in what I've always done. I tried 2 to 3 times on each of them and no luck.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

jisco43 wrote:No reason that the primers were fouled. I cleaned the primer pockets quite well and did nothing any different in what I've always done. I tried 2 to 3 times on each of them and no luck.

Sounds like a batch of bad primers then .... just my dain bramaged, non-professional opinion

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I have a tendency to prime using an old Lee hand primer before they started adding all the mickey mouse BS to them. With that tool I can feel the primer seating quite well.

I have noticed that when priming on the Square Deal or the 550 that it is imperative that the lever be pushed to the stop for consistent priming. When I was learning how to use those machines the priming step was not a matter of 'feel'.
jisco43

Post by jisco43 »

Appreciate the replies. I used my RCBS Hand Primer which I've been using for several years on the rounds that I had the 4 failures with. I cleaned the same cases and primed them using my Lee Classic Turret Press this time. I'll load them again and try them out this weekend. About all that I can think of right now. I really like this rifle and it seems to be a pretty good shooter. One thing that I've learned is, it cycles both rounds really well as long as I seat my rounds at 1.605 minimum. I'll post my results using the different priming method not that I expect much. Thanks again for the replies.
TexasJackKin

Post by TexasJackKin »

How do you clean your brass? If you wet tumble, your cases may not have all been dry, and as mentioned above, if you dry tumble there may be media in the flash hole. Any cleaning solvent or gun oil around? How old are the primers, and how were they stored? Does your priming method require you to handle the individual primers? Did you disassemble the duds, if so, what did they look like inside?

I put a reduced hammer spring on my rifle, and put some extra hard AR rifle primers in a few cases to make sure it would set them off, and it did without any issues. Please keep us posted, as to what you find out, so we can all learn something.....
Mike M.
Dayton, NV
NRA Life member
Front Sight DG
NFC, CRPA, USPSA, AOPA, EAA, CCW: NV, AZ,CA
Yes, I'm Related to Texas Jack