Recoil Pad for .357

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
btoran

Recoil Pad for .357

Post by btoran »

Tired of having an aching shoulder after a trip to the range, I started looking for a recoil pad for my .357 R92. Our stocks are a bit shorter than most guns, measured top to bottom, so there aren't a lot of choices out there that fit.

After speaking with the manufacturer, I bought a Beartooth Recoil Pad Kit 2.0 from Amazon ($20). It's a neoprene sock that fits over the butt end of the stock and comes with a few different foam inserts you can cut (if needed) that go inside the sock. I trimmed one of the thicker foam pieces and tried it on the gun.

The fit of the sock was just a little bit sloppy, so I put a few stitches underneath it so it fits a little tighter, and it works well. The sock doesn't move at all and the padding left me with no aches after a range trip.
Bruce

Rossi R92 16" SS .357
Lee Classic Turret Press

Don't eat anything bigger than your head!
Deleted User 327

Re: Recoil Pad for .357

Post by Deleted User 327 »

I have a bit of arthritis developing in my shooting shoulder so when I want to shoot my rifles with curved buttstocks or harder kicking ones during the summer when I'm not wearing a jacket, I just put on a Caldwell shoulder recoil pad rather than mounting a pad on my rifles. It works great and most of the time I don't need it.

Caldwell Field Shield
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I have that one and a 'magnum' version of the same.

A friend was moving out of the states and gifted them to me.
They sit in the range bag most of the time unused but I have friends who probably should use them with the .45-70 or Beowulf.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I have a couple of those from back when they were under the PAST name. They work great and during the summer when doing load development that take the place of the heavy gear for our hunting season. Ten or 15 rounds into to any of the big bores and I'm happy I have it.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
TexasJackKin

Post by TexasJackKin »

I shoot mostly soft loaded .38s in my rifle, so no need of a recoil pad, but I do plan on getting some Talon grip tape and putting it on the curved steel butt plate, mostly to keep it from sliding around on my shoulder....
Mike M.
Dayton, NV
NRA Life member
Front Sight DG
NFC, CRPA, USPSA, AOPA, EAA, CCW: NV, AZ,CA
Yes, I'm Related to Texas Jack
Blind Hawg

Post by Blind Hawg »

I use the Past shoulder pad too. Full .44 mag loads with the crescent shaped butt stock caused some sharp pain without it. I wouldn’t modify the gun and ruin it’s looks.
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by rondog »

Y'all do know the crescent and steel buttplates are supposed to go against your upper arm, and not your shoulder - right?
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

rondog wrote:Y'all do know the crescent and steel buttplates are supposed to go against your upper arm, and not your shoulder - right?
Crescent yes, sort of. They fit a little further out so the points aren't poking your chest/shoulder.
Steel not so much. The curved carbine stock buttplates fit the shoulder pocket fine.
I've got lots of steel buttplates on older military style and other rifles that are designed for shoulder firing.