I Like My New Peep Sight On My Rossi So Much . . . .

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Deleted User 327

I Like My New Peep Sight On My Rossi So Much . . . .

Post by Deleted User 327 »

I recently added a bolt to peep sight to my Rossi .357mag carbine and really like the increased DoF and clear sight picture the .040" aperture provides.

So, I decided to add a similar version from Skinner to my Mossy 464 carbine so I ordered one from them earlier this week. It came in the mail today and in just a few minutes the job was done.

It increases the sight radius almost 40% from 16" to 22", the same as my Rossi carbine. I also added a .040" aperture like my Rossi to take advantage of the DoF increase. Magically, like my Rossi, the fuzz that had grown on the front sight the last few decades are gone now.

I also got a .070" aperture as well so I have 3 different ones (including the .096" one it comes with) for it.

I'm going to the range tomorrow to give it a run along with my Rossi and expect that 200 yd targets will now be in mortal jeopardy as they are with my other leverguns with target apertures on them.
Blind Hawg

Re: I Like My New Peep Sight On My Rossi So Much . . . .

Post by Blind Hawg »

Just received and my "too tall" Skinner partridge front this week. It's dovetail is oversized for Rossi applications. In addition, it's .625" high, I had problems with .44 mag loads impacting 16" higher than factory sights could handle. I received Steve's rear peep sight yesterday, found that the base fit very loose in the bolt ssfety hole. Steve advised that I need to hand file a new pin groove in the base for an acceptable fit. I shot it today with good results horizontally, vertical control needs work. Learning curve for me I guess. I like the 1/16" patridge front blade over stock beaded sight.
Deleted User 327

Post by Deleted User 327 »

Blind Hawg wrote:Just received and my "too tall" Skinner partridge front this week. It's dovetail is oversized for Rossi applications. In addition, it's .625" high, I had problems with .44 mag loads impacting 16" higher than factory sights could handle. I received Steve's rear peep sight yesterday, found that the base fit very loose in the bolt ssfety hole. Steve advised that I need to hand file a new pin groove in the base for an acceptable fit. I shot it today with good results horizontally, vertical control needs work. Learning curve for me I guess. I like the 1/16" patridge front blade over stock beaded sight.
Having installed 3 of Steve's Bolt Safety Plugs, 2 on my rifles and 1 on a friend's, so I already knew that they need fitting by filing a new grove. Simple task, satisfying to do.
Blind Hawg

Post by Blind Hawg »

On my last test fit the retaining pin disappeared as I drove it out of the bolt!!! 3 or 4 hours later as I was about to give up I gave the dust pan one more pass with the magnet, there she was!!! I still don't know where the safety detent ball went. Anyway, the rear sight is tight. The 5/8" too tall Skinner front sight is cut down to 13/32". I'm ready to lob some Magnum JHP in the bullseye.