Front Sight Modification Experiment

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
dlidster

Front Sight Modification Experiment

Post by dlidster »

I don't feel I'm unique in feeling the sights of Rossi 92s a little shy of perfect. I modified the semi-buckhorn rear sight shortly after bringing the rifle home. I felt the brass bead on the front sight was a little too big, so I ordered what I thought were smaller replacement beads from Numrich and put them into my parts box. That was about five years ago.

Recently I was inspired to replace the original bead. Not wanting to risk ruining the one front sight I had, I requested a spare to work with on here on this forum. A very generous forum member sent me one, which I sincerely appreciate.

It took just about a half-hour to remove the old bead and install the new one. When I was done I realized the "smaller" replacement bead was almost the same size as the original. Duh. So, I achieved my original goal by reducing the replacement bead to be flush with the post.

With the sun shining from behind over my right shoulder the new bead is bright and precise. In any other lighting it disappears and the front sight becomes a narrow, flat-topped post that I find impossible to see on anything except a white background. (I'm 77. This might not be a problem for younger people.)

So, I'm currently involved with a different solution. When I'm done I'll report on those results. But, hey, this is what hobbies are all about . . .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
barracudadave67

Re: Front Sight Modification Experiment

Post by barracudadave67 »

Nice job.
I changed all my sights , on my 4 Rossis over to Marbles buck horn, on the rear, and fiber optic, on the front. I'm 77 also , and the fiber optic really works nice with my old eyes. Got all the sights from Midway.

Dave
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Well, you might try day glow orange paint...
Deleted User 327

Post by Deleted User 327 »

Marbles sells front sights with both a 1/8" and 1/16" bead in different colors. I use a 1/16" brass bead on mine which is equivalent to a .0625" wide front blade (National Match) on my M1 Garand and M1A and they do just fine.
TexasJackKin

Post by TexasJackKin »

I’ve got the Steve Gunz bolt mounted peep sight on my Rossi. I looks like I have about an eighth of an inch (0.125) down adjustment left on the sight. I’d like to put a front sight on it that’s about 0.100 lower than the factory original. If I had a spare, I’d just file it down, it looks like that would just take the brass bead off.

Mostly I’m just wanting the rifle to come out of a scabbard with less hang ups.

So, does anyone sell a standard factory sight I could experiment with?
Mike M.
Dayton, NV
NRA Life member
Front Sight DG
NFC, CRPA, USPSA, AOPA, EAA, CCW: NV, AZ,CA
Yes, I'm Related to Texas Jack
Sarge
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Sarge »

TexasJackKin wrote:I’ve got the Steve Gunz bolt mounted peep sight on my Rossi. I looks like I have about an eighth of an inch (0.125) down adjustment left on the sight. I’d like to put a front sight on it that’s about 0.100 lower than the factory original. If I had a spare, I’d just file it down, it looks like that would just take the brass bead off.

Mostly I’m just wanting the rifle to come out of a scabbard with less hang ups.

So, does anyone sell a standard factory sight I could experiment with?
I always hate to mess with sights once a firearm is zeroed* but there is no other way. If you don't know the exact height of your current front sight, you'll have to remove it from the dovetail and measure it with a dial or digital caliper.

*Assuming you zeroed after mounting the sights.