Peep sight alternative

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Blind Hawg

Peep sight alternative

Post by Blind Hawg »

Does anyone have any experience with folding peep sights that were offered on Ruger Mini Ranch and 96/44 rifles? I'm  considering them for a 10/22 and just maybe, a Rossi 92.  It's the same as the original 10/22 sight except it has an aperture instead a notch.  The price is right!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nashville Stage

Re: Peep sight alternative

Post by Nashville Stage »

For the price, it's certainly cheap enough to try. However, my guess is that it won't be a very good option for a couple of reasons.

- I don't have direct experience with the aperture sight that you reference, but if they're anything like the stock 10/22 rear sights, then "cheap" will be the operative word. I have to deal with those on a regular basis at Project Appleseed shoots. While they're functional, they're a pain to adjust with any precision. You have to blindly try adjustments and then shoot each time to see what the adjustment did.

- Aperture sights work best when they're up close to your eye. The mounting position on the 92 is probably too far forward, and will cause the aperture to obscure most of your sight picture. The attached photo shows the mounting position of the rear sight on the Ruger Mini 14. Notice that it's all the way to the back of the receiver.

Hey, if you want to give it a try, I won't discourage the attempt. It might work fine for what you want. Just be aware of the difficulties you might face.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sarge
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Sarge »

I've used apertures on AKs that were mounted in the conventional rear sight's location. I didn't find them any faster or more accurate than the OEM sight. Further, they tend to obscure the field of view.

Something else to consider- if you mount one in that location, the aperture must be considerably larger or you simply can't see through it.

It's awfully hard to beat the Lyman 66 on a lever action rifle.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Sarge wrote:I've used apertures on AKs that were mounted in the conventional rear sight's location. I didn't find them any faster or more accurate than the OEM sight. Further, they tend to obscure the field of view.

Something else to consider- if you mount one in that location, the aperture must be considerably larger or you simply can't see through it.

It's awfully hard to beat the Lyman 66 on a lever action rifle.
Same experience with the AK. It's not like cheap AK apertures abound and I really regretted all the work it took to hate it on the ole Yugo.

I do have Redfield aperture sights on both the Marlin 39A and the waffle top. My R92 is the older style with the better rear sight but unfortunately the front sight made onto the barrel band. I have no reason to change the R92 sights. By far the most re-hashed subject matter on this site.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Sarge
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Sarge »

The Tech sight for the AK is, on the other hand, a big improvement,

Buckhorns deal me fits so I have to swap them out to shoot a lever action really well,