Soft case for 16 inch 92 advice

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
TexasJackKin

Soft case for 16 inch 92 advice

Post by TexasJackKin »

I'm looking for a soft case, that fits, a Rossi 16 inch barreled model 92, but all I can find are for scoped rifles, and / or much longer rifles. have any of you found anything that actually fits a a 34 inch long rifle?

Thanks for any help or advice,
Mike
Mike M.
Dayton, NV
NRA Life member
Front Sight DG
NFC, CRPA, USPSA, AOPA, EAA, CCW: NV, AZ,CA
Yes, I'm Related to Texas Jack
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Soft case for 16 inch 92 advice

Post by Archer »

I don't have the solution you want.

I have found most gun cases to be compromises. I have probably a dozen or two rifle cases and have seen a whole bunch more.

For the first few years that I owned guns and used cases to move them around I had a Allen open weave tan case most often used for a 12 gauge shotgun or a M1 Garand and a scoped Allen Koplin that was used for a Win 94 20" barreled .30-30 where the case was at least 8" too long for the gun. Didn't really matter the cases worked.

For several years I used a couple hard double rifle cases to carry two or three rifles each and for aircraft travel. They protect the guns pretty well but slim firearms like the Rossi/Winchester lever guns don't always stay put in such a case, especially if it is also used for thicker guns like the M1.

I find myself using the rifle cases from Voodoo Tactical or Drago or even the inferior NCStar copies quite a bit now. Part of that is I have a number of ARs and other mil type rifles and so I have those cases on hand and part of it is those cases are pretty well padded and work pretty well. The other cases I use quite a bit are the Allen cases I picked up over the past few years that are a simple form fitted case for either a 'shotgun' or a 'scoped rifle'. No they aren't perfect but they are heavily padded and work pretty well.

I don't have a case for every firearm. I try not to keep the firearms in the cases.

I do not like the cases with the short zipper that you have to shove the gun into the case and drag it out like a sock because the front sight cuts up the inside of the case or gets hung up inside.

I DO find myself using gunsocks from Midway or Allen pretty often to try and keep the rash down from guns bumping each other in the home defense locker stacks. I will sometimes take a gun to the range in such a sock although I usually will have that sock inside either a rifle case or a duffle bag moving it to the vehicle and back.

Keep in mind the wrist of the 92/94 rifles are not the strongest part of these guns. You want to try and avoid putting a side force into the wrists because they can crack.
Last edited by Archer on 10 Oct 2020 02:25, edited 1 time in total.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

I've had the same dilemma for several years in finding just the right zippered soft case to carry lever guns. I do have 44 inch bag (bought for a 20" Mossberg pump gun) that is still about 4 inches too long for my 20" barreled R92, but it does work for the purpose. It seems that all the rifle bags are for much longer bolt rifles or long barreled shotguns ... or those big, rectangular shaped bags for the "black rifles". I actually bought one of them about 15 years ago to carry my scoped Marlin 336 ... not exactly what I wanted, but is works for the purpose. As for my little 16" Rossi R92, I've not found a right fitting zippered case. But, if they still make them, Ruger had zippered bags available for the 10-22 (?) that may fit most of our R92's, if you don't mind the red and white Ruger logo plastered on the side.

I even have a list of bag lengths for the 4 different guns I'm trying to fit, and do keep an eye out for them too.

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Found one at an LGS years ago for my 16 in 44. Fits perfectly. Says, “My First Rifle” in big bold letters. There is no end to the abuse I take. But you might search for cases for Crickets and the like.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

One of the reasons I do tend to use the 'square' ones from Voodoo or Drago or whatever is they have substantial velcro straps in them that can be used to keep the guns inside from swimming in them.

Such straps could be added to other cases. Or you could simply sew in a shoe lace by the middle say six to ten inches from each end of the case to be used to tie the weapon in to the case and keep it in place the same way.

Something like that would work with something like this for example:
https://4shooters.com/product/allen-com ... 2-blk.html
I picked up a few of these in FDE when the local Turner's was blowing them out because they were too darned cheap not to and if I ever get out of CA a AR carbine with a collapsed stock should fit perfectly. Meanwhile they work for some of the guns that may swim in them a little but are short enough otherwise. I may add the velcro or tie straps to them and to the longer versions I have that I picked up for the M1A.

The little Ruger case for the 10/22 that's been mentioned before is a pretty good case for the Rugers, M1 Carbines and maybe the 16" Rossi.

The takedown or covert cases for the AR are probably too short for the Rossi unless it is a Ranch Hand.

Mostly I'd rather have a case that was too long as I can always fold the end of it shoving it into the duffle where one that's too short won't zip shut.
TexasJackKin

Post by TexasJackKin »

I appreciate all the ideas/advice, and will look into the Ruger 10-.22 case, as I have a Ruger 10-.22 (who doesn’t). I bought the 16 inch Rossi, thinking it would be a great behind the seat rifle (I still think that) so would like a case that doesn’t “bulk it up” much, and still keep it handy.

When I ordered the rifle, I was thinking, it was relatively inexpensive and I could just though it behind the seat, and let it get banged up (it’ll add character) but now that I’ve got it I realize it’s to nice for that….. What a disappointment, the rifle way nicer than I expected :D
Mike M.
Dayton, NV
NRA Life member
Front Sight DG
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

I picked up a fringed scabbard for my rossi 92 44 mag 16"
https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/pag ... ct_id/4978
It fits real good, few inches of extra space when you fold over and tie down.
Label on the package says 40" Oklahoma leather.
It is a dark chocolate brown color, does not feel or look like suede.
Nice heavy leather.
TexasJackKin

Post by TexasJackKin »

Dixie Gun Works, wow does that bring back memories! When I was in junior high school, on into high school, we used to wear out the catalog. This was way, way, before the internet was even thought of! I had no idea they were even still in business.
Mike M.
Dayton, NV
NRA Life member
Front Sight DG
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

Years ago I gave them a lot of business, still got their catalog, keep it on the book shelf with all the important books. +guns
GSB4243

Post by GSB4243 »

The 10-22 case is a solid choice. It is almost a perfect fit.