Steve’s Gunz peep sight

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
JimN
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Steve’s Gunz peep sight

Post by JimN »

I waffled between the Skinner and SG’s peep, but I went with the bolt mount for my RH. Barrel length was the deciding factor. I would do the same with a 16”. 20” or 24” I’d lean towards the Skinner. I have one on my Marlin mod. 60 and I really like the barrel mount.
Deleted User 327

Post by Deleted User 327 »

Blind Hawg wrote:I like the Skinner barrel mounted sight but They’re 7” further away than Steve’s.
And there in lies the real difference between the two. A peep sight with a small aperture held close to your eye gives you a huge increase in Depth of Field (DoF). What is DoF you ask?

It's a photographic term that means the area from the aperture outward that appears in focus. It's the principle that a pinhole camera works with. Simply, it's if you have a small enough aperture, close enough to the photographic paper, the area in focus will be huge. Not feet in focus but almost infinity.

Yep, if your eyes are young and/or in good shape you don't care much about this but as you age, you'll find that you need all the help you can get seeing both the front sight and the target clearly. A target peep sight aperture held close to your eye will give you a both a clear front sight picture as well as a clear target even if it's 300 yds away! It's like magic.

Plus, the increased sight radius makes precision aiming easier as well. Steve's bolt top peep sight with his .042" target aperture is a double win over the Skinner as it gives you both increased sight radius and increased DoF.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

COSteve wrote:
Blind Hawg wrote:I like the Skinner barrel mounted sight but They’re 7” further away than Steve’s.
And there in lies the real difference between the two. A peep sight with a small aperture held close to your eye gives you a huge increase in Depth of Field (DoF). What is DoF you ask?

It's a photographic term that means the area from the aperture outward that appears in focus. It's the principle that a pinhole camera works with. Simply, it's if you have a small enough aperture, close enough to the photographic paper, the area in focus will be huge. Not feet in focus but almost infinity.

Yep, if your eyes are young and/or in good shape you don't care much about this but as you age, you'll find that you need all the help you can get seeing both the front sight and the target clearly. A target peep sight aperture held close to your eye will give you a both a clear front sight picture as well as a clear target even if it's 300 yds away! It's like magic.

Plus, the increased sight radius makes precision aiming easier as well. Steve's bolt top peep sight with his .042" target aperture is a double win over the Skinner as it gives you both increased sight radius and increased DoF.
And a tang sight gives even more. 76 year old eyes like the Marbles. Both my '92s were drilled and taped from the factory.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
GSB4243

Post by GSB4243 »

It is the same reason I replaced my rear sight on my 454 with the Marble's Bullseye sight. Acts like a peep, but gives a secondary large circle for field of view. It is really a modified ghost sight, but it works pretty well and it is much easier to put my front sight dot in the middle of circle then it is to try and rest it in the bottom of a V....
Deleted User 327

Ohio3Wheels wrote:And a tang sight gives even more. 76 year old eyes like the Marbles. Both my '92s were drilled and taped from the factory.

Make smoke,
Yep, my almost 73 year old eyes really need the benefit of the DoF increase and a 30" sight radius is great too.

mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Dang, y'all make me look like a kid at only 67 .... half dain bramaged, but still a kid :)

Gives me hope!

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Deleted User 327

mr surveyor wrote:Dang, y'all make me look like a kid at only 67 .... half dain bramaged, but still a kid :)

Gives me hope!

jd
You braggin or complaining???

:D :D :D
TexasJackKin

Post by TexasJackKin »

Well, I guess I am the kid of the group, at soon to be 67! I just ordered Steve Gunz's bolt mounter peep sight. The tang mounted sight looks like it could interfere with your grip, especially if you were trying to shoot fast?
Mike M.
Dayton, NV
NRA Life member
Front Sight DG
NFC, CRPA, USPSA, AOPA, EAA, CCW: NV, AZ,CA
Yes, I'm Related to Texas Jack
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

I actually see the tang sight as a good reminder not to wrap my thumb around the rifle’s wrist.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

HarryAlonzo wrote:I actually see the tang sight as a good reminder not to wrap my thumb around the rifle’s wrist.
You, becha! :o
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image