Steve’s Gunz peep sight

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Blind Hawg

Steve’s Gunz peep sight

Post by Blind Hawg »

Thinking about a bolt mounted rear peep sight from Steve’s Gunz. They look a little fragile and pricey to me. Looking for long term experience feedback. Thanks.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Steve’s Gunz peep sight

Post by HarryAlonzo »

I had one mounted for a long time on my 44. I was a bit concerned about fragility, but I never had a problem. The elevation adjustment is in half turns. I don’t recall how that translates to inches at 100 yards, but it’s a bit coarse. My bigger concern, that I never confirmed, was that the bolt is not a consistent platform for a sight. Winchester offered a bolt-mounted aperture sight on the Model 71 for awhile. That gave me some confidence, until I realized that they stopped offering it. I eventually replaced it with a Marbles tang sight (Even more fragile, but surviving just fine, so far). I found that I’m also a fan of the much maligned bolt safety. It’s very handy for unloading after an armed nature walk.
Deleted User 327

Post by Deleted User 327 »

While I've only had my sight on for a short time, I feel it's at least as sturdy as the stock rear sight on a carbine. No, you don't want to go banging it around but then you don't want to do that on any sight. As far as fragility, I think a single blade front sight is more prone to damage and they've been doing just fine for 400 years.
dalek

Post by dalek »

If you want a bolt-mounted sight, the best one is made by our Russian member, vtoran.

https://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2566
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Redfield makes (or made) Weaver mount base(s) for the Winchester 94 Angle Eject (P/N G58). The rear base bridges the locking lugs. D&T is required, and I think the 92 receiver is the same width.

NECG makes a nice aperture sight for a Weaver base.

This approach is fiddly and expensive, but it’s not my money.
Deleted User 327

dalek wrote:If you want a bolt-mounted sight, the best one is made by our Russian member, vtoran.

https://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2566
It's a nice setup, however, I don't see any way to swap apertures easily. With Steve's setup, I can use the target .042" aperture I use mostly during the bright part of the day and then simply swap to a larger aperture as it gets darker or is cloudy.
Deleted User 327

I have both a 20" carbine with Steve's aperture on it and a 24" rifle with a target tang and globe sight setup. The carbine with the stock sights I found limited me to shots under 100yds as the front sight just wasn't clear enough to see clearly. Add to that the stock sight radius is only 16" and it made for a short range only carbine.

My rifle setup with it's target sights and 30" sight radius allows me to shoot bowling pins at 200yds as well as ring steel at 300yds with a 158grn .357mag cartridge; a feat I find impressive for a pistol round. The carbine was a bit limiting until I added Steve's peep sight as it, 1) increased the sight radius to 22" and gave me a target aperture close to my eye to increase my Depth of Field.

Now my carbine's sights are as clear as they were when I was 20 and I've even successfully gone after those pesky bowling pins at 200yds with it using the target aperture. That's something that wasn't remotely possible with the stock sight setup and the reason I added the peep sight. I couldn't be happier with it now.
Blind Hawg

Post by Blind Hawg »

XS makes a clever design but receiver needs to be drilled & tapped.
Deleted User 327

As you can see in this closeup of the receiver, Steve's setup is clean and simple. It's solid and with the 0.042" target aperture I use, both the front sight and target are sharp and clear. ;)

Blind Hawg

Post by Blind Hawg »

I like the Skinner barrel mounted sight but They’re 7” further away than Steve’s.