Lyman and lee 357 molds

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Mrskrimps

Lyman and lee 357 molds

Post by Mrskrimps »

Proud new member Of the forum and owner of a Rossi r92 in 357. Been shooting this caliber a long time- but never in a rifle. It took 6 weeks from purchase to my hands so I did my share of research. Feed issues, build quality, the haters and the lovers-

Firearm is good quality- can’t complain with the price. But back to the subject-

Before I received the rifle- I made about 12 dummy rounds with the bullets I have in my reloading stash-

358429. I’ve mostly fired from an L frame, never worried about size.made 2 of each, over the band and under the band. Out of 6 Or so cycle throughs only 1 stuck. Anyone else not have feed issues with the full size load?

RecentLy acquired the lee tumble lube 158 round nose and semi wadcutter. Anyone have luck with these in their Rossi 20inch? I’ve only casted once with them, once heats up very inconsistent the other worked flawlessly and barely had to size afterwards(swc)

Is the round nose ok in the tube mag? I’ve read it both ways. They’re swagged and soft enough I feel like punching a primer is highly unlikely but please anyone chime in.

That’s what I got, plan on shooting it tomorrow for the first time. If the accuracy is anywhere near the consistency of what I fed it and ejected_ this thing is an amazing value
GasGuzzler

Re: Lyman and lee 357 molds

Post by GasGuzzler »

All sounds fine to me.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Gunny268 »

Crazy as this sounds...Quite a while back I had a 158 RN mold for my 357. They didn't do well on critters so I took a 1"x1"x2" piece of mild steel and drilled a hole (diameter of a dummy cartridge) in it. Only drilled in till the drill bit just began to protrude on the bottom leaving a smaller diameter opening on the opposite end. I would slip my assembled 357 LRN round into the big hole end, and a portion of the LRN bullet would protrude above the flat on the opposite end. I would use a flat file and with only two or three strokes shave the round nose of the bullet flat. At 1560 fps those rounds would end a coyote's day immediately.
Still have it and use the set up occasionally. Works well in my Rossi '92 357.
Way back when, necessity was the mother of invention, or I'm just too dumb to buy a proper mold.
Mrskrimps

Post by Mrskrimps »

That’s awesome- I might just modify the RN!
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

the absolute best (non gas checked) .357 bullet I've loaded in my long 10 years of reloading (yeah, still a rookie) in the Lee 358-158 RF, tumble lubed (sometimes twice). A local friend casts them for me - sometimes pretty good, and sometimes with a bit of "cottage cheese" look. But, they've still, accuracy wise, out performed at least a dozen other commercial bullets (both cast and jacketed) I've tried. I've read quite a few older articles in the last few years that claim that's one of the best all around cast boolits available for the .357 mag. Unfortunately, I still haven't found a commercial source of that particular bullet and my local buddy has limited his casting time to the bottom feeders he plays with the most. It's still the best bullet profile for my R92 though.

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!