You fellas with late-model 44 Mags

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: You fellas with late-model 44 Mags

Post by golfish »

jisco43 wrote:In July of this year I purchased my R92 in 44 Mag with the 20 inch barrel. Blued finish which wad a deep color with well fitting furniture. Kind of finicky feeding the 44 Mag ammo at first but smoothed out nicely after about 60 to 75 reloads. I slugged the barrel due to terrible accuracy using factory ammo. It was jacketed .429 PPU. I ordered some .432 and .433 cast bullets from two different companies. I used both bullet sizes with 4227 and 2400 powders and have had excellent results and pretty much flawless cycling. The only problems at present are failure from time to time with CCI Large Pistol Primers. Shooting reloads using my second box of primers and I have not had any problems yet.
Sounds like the same problem that I'm having. Would you share the name of the vendors you got the larger dia cast bullets from?

Thank you
jisco43

Post by jisco43 »

Sure, Montana Bullet Company and Penn Bullets. There was just .001 between the two but both shot very well. Hope this helps!
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

Thank you kindly
SAColt45

Post by SAColt45 »

Up-date. Got a call this morning from my LGS. My Rossi 92 44mag came in. I bought it new and fired exactly 11 rounds through it before the ejector broke. I took it back and my dealer sent it in. That was just a little over a year ago. I was almost afraid to go out and shoot it, but just had to give it a shot. A little cold and some wind , but I did run about 20 rounds through it. I was shooting an 8 inch steel plate at 100 yds. with two of my reloads. 1. 240 gr lswc 2. 240 gr. Hornady XTP. Both loads were with 8 gr. of universal ( these two loads are what I shoot out of my pistols for hunting deer and antelope as well as for just plinking.) These have been a very mild and accurate load for me. I think I may have missed the plate 3 times out of the 20 some odd shots I took ( old eyes aren't what they used to be.) Glad to have the gun back and holding my breath that it doesn't ever have to go back again.
Thanks all,
Shoot straight and stay safe.
ethang

Post by ethang »

A year for it to be repaired after 11 rounds? :shock:
Plastic has no soul...
SAColt45

Post by SAColt45 »

Unfortunately, yes. :x
Sarge
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Sarge »

I'm gonna give this thread a kick. IF it's too old RD, close it if you want.

I sunk my 44 money in an old Ballard rifled Marlin 35, but am still fishing around for a 44 Mag. An acquaintance got a new R92 44 mag last year and so far, it's running and shooting fine. Prices have gotten stupid on all of them. Have any of you purchased one in the last six months and if so, is the quality better than the QC mess described above?
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

Sarge wrote:I'm gonna give this thread a kick. IF it's too old RD, close it if you want.

I sunk my 44 money in an old Ballard rifled Marlin 35, but am still fishing around for a 44 Mag. An acquaintance got a new R92 44 mag last year and so far, it's running and shooting fine. Prices have gotten stupid on all of them. Have any of you purchased one in the last six months and if so, is the quality better than the QC mess described above?
Hi Sarge, how you been?
I was in a LGS this past tuesday, the 5th.
They had a brand new 92 in 357, 20" barrel.
I handled it, but did not work the action or look inside.
The wood to metal fit was very good, so was the finish, beautiful rifle.
They had it tagged at $629.00
Im mostly interested in 44 mag, so I passed on it.
I just reworked the action on my 44 mag to accept the original Keith 429421.
And came across this old ideal mold 429422 HB, without the HB pin.
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/OKUAAOSw ... -l1600.jpg[/img]
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

SAColt45 wrote:Up-date. Got a call this morning from my LGS. My Rossi 92 44mag came in. I bought it new and fired exactly 11 rounds through it before the ejector broke.
Another VERY good reason to put a reduced power ejector spring in 'em.

If you look at it, the ejector has a shaft that is pretty darn thin, and it "snaps" forward when the front of the brass clears the top of the action. You can't stop the snap, that's a matter of the relationship of the parts, but you can make it softer, and make the action much easier to open and close, with a reduced power ejector spring. As many have found out, its not all too critical in springiness, but diameter and length do matter a bit. That reduced power spring puts less pressure on the bolt, which puts less pressure on the (nearly) perpendicular locking lugs. Less pressure, less friction, and it has nothing to do with the tightness of the "lockup", so much easier to open and close.

With all that, my .44 feeds .44 Special, and .44 Russian. The Specials have RNFP or Keith (style) bullets, seated at the provided seating groove of the bullet. The Russians have RN and I have not actually shot those in the rifle, just fed 'em thru the magazine to see how they'd do. It also feeds .44 Special with "round ball" aka gallery loads. Does not feed .44 Special with DEWC bullets.... ya can't have it all. The only action work I did, beyond dry cycling a billion times, was to replace the spring like I described above, and adjusted things so the lever would sit closer to the lower tang (which has no effect on feeding).
Sarge
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Sarge »

I'm doing alright Trapper and thank you for asking. I figure if I wake up, stand up and walk out of my tracks, I've got a better than average chance of seeing the stars from the underside, that night.