You fellas with late-model 44 Mags

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: You fellas with late-model 44 Mags

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Sarge wrote:My 357 was a rough-operating sumbuck but it wasn't picky about bullet diameter and was very accurate. Both 45 Colts shot great with a definite preference for XTP and .454 lead bullets. So it wouldn't shock me at all if the 44 mags like XTPs and .432 lead bullets.
Sounds like my 2. The 357 will shoot just about any thing and the Colt has a preference for somewhat fatter bullets when shooting cast.

Stay well, be safe, make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

Archer wrote:
golfish wrote:
Have you shot any factory jacketed ammo?
The last gun I shot that got basketball groups at something less than 100 yards was a Korean war era M1 Garand that turned out to have a bulged barrel and even it got 8" groups at 50-60 yards if you held your mouth right. In fact it was the 12" groups the owner was getting out of it that told us something wasn't right and we found the bulged barrel by slugging it. You couldn't SEE any sign of it being bulged from the outside of the barrel even after we had it off the receiver.

I haven't sat down and shot mine for accuracy but you are making that a requirement.
No but I have shot some 240 Hornady XTP loads. I didn't notice any difference. Like I mentioned, it shoots the same as my other Rossi 92 in 44mag. Iy did shoot worse with 2400 powder. My .357 and 45lc love 2400, not this 44. I made a few different loads last night but really I need to slug it.
Got some .432 44 bullets on order.

BTW, I did get your PM, and will do the next time we go out.
Thanks
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I don't know if I've shot any of my 2400 loads through the 44 Mag Rossi levers.
Possible but I didn't notice the accuracy or lack there of. Most of the shooting I've done with these guns has been plinking and introducing other shooters to them so the round count has been reasonably low.

My Winchester 94 seems to like 2400 fine with both plated and jacketed rounds.

I need to build some ammo and put them on paper. One thing I have noticed is that with the factory bead it is not easy to draw a fine sight picture with these guns. COSteve mentioned getting a smaller bead front to help with that but at 50 yards the stock sights will just about cover a good sized (8"?) target center so holding on a 1" mark at any range is a bit hard to do.
Sarge
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Sarge »

I will certainly agree with you on the unsuitability of the factory sights for fine shooting. I replace that front bead with a 1/16 brass bead and either flattop the rear sihht or replace it with one of that type. I also reduce the size of the notch when I alter the factory sight. I've posted a link here to an article I have on that very process but I'm on my phone and can't get to it right now. The finer sights absolutely make precise shooting much easier.
SAColt45

Post by SAColt45 »

Sarge wrote:How's the quality, function and accuracy? I'm in the market for a 44 Mag lever action and I've had 3 R92s, two 45 Colts and a 357. The 45s were good to great and the 357 was a PITA.

Now I'm in the market for a 44 Mag. Looking at the quirks of the Marlin, Henry and even older Brownings I find not much to recommend them over the Rossi. My R92s have at least been quite accurate and not particular about what they shot well.

So if you have a late 2019 or 2020 R92 in 44 Magnum, how about your overall opinion so far?

Thank you in advance.
Sarge, I hate to say this, but I shot exactly 11 rounds through my Rossi 92 .44 mag (new by-the-way)
before the extractor broke. It's been with Rossi for 6 mo. now with no idea of when I will get it back.
Sarge
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Sarge »

SAColt45 wrote:
Sarge wrote:How's the quality, function and accuracy? I'm in the market for a 44 Mag lever action and I've had 3 R92s, two 45 Colts and a 357. The 45s were good to great and the 357 was a PITA.

Now I'm in the market for a 44 Mag. Looking at the quirks of the Marlin, Henry and even older Brownings I find not much to recommend them over the Rossi. My R92s have at least been quite accurate and not particular about what they shot well.

So if you have a late 2019 or 2020 R92 in 44 Magnum, how about your overall opinion so far?

Thank you in advance.
Sarge, I hate to say this, but I shot exactly 11 rounds through my Rossi 92 .44 mag (new by-the-way)
before the extractor broke. It's been with Rossi for 6 mo. now with no idea of when I will get it back.
Stuff like that is exactly why I asked. Thank you. I appreciate the reply and hope they get you fixed up soon.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

SAColt45,
The EXTRACTOR broke?
or the EJECTOR broke?

It is certainly possible for the extractor to break BUT I haven't seen much on that topic with the R92s.
It is MUCH more common for the ejector to break and that's one of the reasons quite a few people put in a reduced power spring in the belief that the excess spring tension causes extra stress on that part.

Do you have any pictures of the failed parts?
Deleted User 327

Post by Deleted User 327 »

Deleted
Last edited by Deleted User 327 on 17 Jan 2021 17:42, edited 1 time in total.
SAColt45

Post by SAColt45 »

Archer wrote:SAColt45,
The EXTRACTOR broke?
or the EJECTOR broke?

It is certainly possible for the extractor to break BUT I haven't seen much on that topic with the R92s.
It is MUCH more common for the ejector to break and that's one of the reasons quite a few people put in a reduced power spring in the belief that the excess spring tension causes extra stress on that part.

Do you have any pictures of the failed parts?
Guys, I apologize; it's the ejector that broke.. :roll:
Thanks, Archer
PS Rossi has the broken part along with my gun. :cry:
jisco43

Post by jisco43 »

In July of this year I purchased my R92 in 44 Mag with the 20 inch barrel. Blued finish which wad a deep color with well fitting furniture. Kind of finicky feeding the 44 Mag ammo at first but smoothed out nicely after about 60 to 75 reloads. I slugged the barrel due to terrible accuracy using factory ammo. It was jacketed .429 PPU. I ordered some .432 and .433 cast bullets from two different companies. I used both bullet sizes with 4227 and 2400 powders and have had excellent results and pretty much flawless cycling. The only problems at present are failure from time to time with CCI Large Pistol Primers. Shooting reloads using my second box of primers and I have not had any problems yet.