Questions on K92 357 dissembly sort of and related questions

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
donhov

Questions on K92 357 dissembly sort of and related questions

Post by donhov »

OK wanted to check out a few things so removed barrel band and magazine band. Also removed front screw to hold mag tube in place.
NOTE: Found out the hard way of course the mag plug only installs one way. The bolt/screw will not thread in the other way. When out try the screw and find out which way it goes prior to re-assembly. How much can you cut off the mag spring without any effect or difficulty being caused by cutting it. Or just leave it alone?. Have heard leave 5 inches out side tube uncompressed and cut there? Any one know for sure. Mine is a carbine (16") and is new build date 6/6/2020. Also how about the mag follower. It's just a GREEN (not yellow) plastic part that the spring fits into (looks like an empty cartridge case), that the spring fits inside. Looks like any standard empty cartridge (maybe a 380) that fits into the tube would work, even by using an empty 38 case. If too tight maybe grinding off a little of the case rim? My tube was clean with no burrs so looking to increase a little dependability cheaply. Bought some E-Bay Win 92 sights that also fit Puma 92 but do not fit my carbine. Front sight after installing almost fell out it was so loose. Guess if I want to change it to a fiber sight I should contact Steve. Thoughts appreciated over all my thoughts or any other ideas for self remodeling.
Daryll

Re: Questions on K92 357 dissembly sort of and related quest

Post by Daryll »

hmmm... I think if you used a 38 or 380 case as a follower, it would go too far and try to get loaded..?? don't forget that 38/357 cases fit up the tube, and come out..! you could try something bigger, .44 or .45..?
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Daryll wrote:hmmm... I think if you used a 38 or 380 case as a follower, it would go too far and try to get loaded..?? don't forget that 38/357 cases fit up the tube, and come out..! you could try something bigger, .44 or .45..?
+1

If you search the DIY section there have in the past been threads on homemade followers.

Stay well, be safe, make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I like the follower from the Smith Shop. At $15 it seems worth it.
http://thesmithshop.com/magfollow.html

Since the gun is a .38/.357 any cartridge case in that class is just going to feed into the action. Also any cartridge case used as a follower is likely to look like a cartridge still in the mag when the gun is empty.

As to the mag spring. It bothers some people. I've left mine alone. The mod video from Steve says leave two or three cartridge lengths of spring beyond the tube. I'm just a bit leery of removing mag spring tension. I've seen too many tube fed guns over the years with weak mag springs.
stevep1954

Post by stevep1954 »

let us know how hard the barrel bands were to get back on...
donhov

Post by donhov »

Cussed a little but they did grab the screws without major issues. I had more problems with the mag end cap stopper screw due to not initially noticing that it only went in one way. Front band screw took a little more pressure but not unreasonable to do. Thanks for the above comments and no I didn't think about the 38/380 empty entering the action. Time to rethink and go another way. This rifle won't be fired all that much but need it dependable. Again thanks so far.....
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

If you need dependable above all else leave the mag spring as is after cleaning and lubrication, get a pro made stainless follower and shoot the gun enough to smooth it out and to get the muscle memory you need to shoot it well.

Stay well, be safe, make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
donhov

Post by donhov »

Not too worried about the muscle memory as I am about keeping the carbine fully dependable and function able. Going to order the mag follower online so that won't become a problem and thinking about also getting the stainless mag spring and leaving length as is. Not sure it's worth one more round if it isn't dependable. This rifle is the new one built 6/2020. Its very smooth operating, trigger ig better than most, defiantly not perfect but quite good. Fit and finish very good. Loads and fires 38 and 357 well. Have fired 50 of each with no problems.Each night since I got it I sit watching TV and work the action at least 50 to 100 operations per night, Probably 2000 functions so far and it isn't too bad and getting better each night. Other than that all is well and I am happy so far.
donhov

Post by donhov »

OK, went the expensive way. Ordered the mag follower and stainless spring from Steve, also ordered the front fiber optic sight from him. Hopefully it will fit OK on my newer K92 357. Will report on fit etc when I get parts and get them installed.
donhov

Post by donhov »

Got parts Tuesday the 8th. Installed follower and spring was so long I cut it 2" shorter than the factory spring. As it was stainless thought a little shorter would be OK. Front sight took a little work. I had to lightly file it so that it would start into the sight dovetail and once started fit quite snug. Hopefully it is tight enough, If not a little lock tight should fix it. Other than the bright green fiber optic rod looks like it came on the rifle. Overall quite satisfied with the package. Now to get some range time and try all out and see if I screwed anything up. If so still have all the original parts on hand to fit back if necessary.