Problems with my new 92 rifle

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Blind Hawg

Problems with my new 92 rifle

Post by Blind Hawg »

I experienced the following issues with my new Rossi 92 today.

***44 mag 24'' barrel 92 firing my reloads 200 gr .429 cast Lee flat nose bullets in Mag Tech .44 spec cases.

Issue 1. The first round out of the loaded magazine stands vertically in the action on its way to the chamber. I pressed the nose down and it went on into the chamber. When the action is opened partially the last round loaded is angled about 15 degs to the left on the bottom of the action but pressing on the loading gate lines it up with the bore.

Issue 2. The spent cartridge and the following live round from the mag tube eject at the same time.

Action has been thoroughly cleaned and lubricated. Total of 75 rounds have been fired so far.

I would appreciate any advice on how to correct these issues.

Thanks
Blind Hawg

Re: Problems with my new 92 rifle

Post by Blind Hawg »

Pix may help . . .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Just like the .357s sometimes have trouble with .38, you could have some trouble due to the OAL. I don't have any .429 mags or specials but 1.5" is the magic OAL for many of the newer guns that don't feed well. If your OAL is less than that by just a little, bump up to around or just over that length and try again. You might have to add a 0.1 or two of powder to make up for it. Make sure the Special brass you have is more than minimum length so your crimp will end up in the right spot. Also some people trim the magazine spring a little but that's not as common a need on a long barrel like yours (rumor was Rossi used the same spring for all lengths).
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Blind Hawg

Post by Blind Hawg »

I'll make up some dummy rounds today an try that. I did notice that my reloads were a little bit shorter than the factory loads. Thanks !
Blind Hawg

Post by Blind Hawg »

Dummy load with a hair over 1.5 OAL DID THE TRICK (1/8" longer). Crimp falls into the very top of the top lube ring.
No longer does it lay in the bottom at an angle or it stand at attention either!

Longer OAL feeds into chamber smoother too.

I'll drink a cold one for you today

Thanks
Deleted User 327

Post by Deleted User 327 »

1.5" OAL minimum is the 'magic number' for .38Spl/.357Mag in Rossis as well, however, be careful not to size them too long or they'll hang as the nose of the bullet will impact the bottom of the chamber and not rise into feeding position. So, like a box mag fed round, the OAL has a definite max and min length.

The design of the feeding system, tipping the cartridge up, to have it positioned to enter the chamber, was originally designed to be used with the slightly necked calibers 25-20 and .38-40 or the slightly tapered 44-40 so a straight walled caliber requires a smaller tolerance in OAL to feed smoothly. Stay within it and you're golden. Go outside it either way and you'll have issues.

Also, I've found that the larger the metplat on the bullet, the less rounded the bullet is so the less it acts as a ramp to guide the round into the chamber. My Elmer Keith lead 255grn .45 Colt bullets don't feed that well into my Ubertis, but the X-Treme 255grn plated ones feed smooth as glass even though both are loaded to the same OAL.