When was hammer lockout screw added?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
dbur525

When was hammer lockout screw added?

Post by dbur525 »

Hi everybody!
Wow! I just purchased a new Rossi 92 16 inch stainless 357
I was traveling and stopped in to a small town gun shop. I was looking at the rifles that were in racks bolted to the floor. I spotted a small short lever action and at first thought it was a 22 LR.
As i picked it up, i realized that the . Hole in the barrel was really big! I read the writing on the barrel and noticed it was a 357 mag. Damn, i worked the lever and it was very smooth! Fit and finish was superb !
I was not in a position to purchase this gun. I reluctantly put it back in the rack. And walked up to the counter and told the old guy behind the counter,that i really had a hard time not buying that rifle!
He chuckled and i walked out of his gun shop and headed home. For me home was a 8 hr drive.
This happened on a Friday afternoon. I thought about thus gun most of the way home.
The next day which was saturday i did alot of research on the rossi 92.
Many people seemed to be dissatisfied with the rossi action, saying it was very rough and needed gunsmith work to clean up the action, people also complained about jamming and other problems .
I talked with my wife and she said, you should buy it! I immediately called the gun shop and the phone just kept on ringing and no one ever answered the phone. So everyday i called the gun shop twice a day, for 4 days!
Nobody ever answered the phone.i did some checking, and found that this gun shop and another branch shop in another small town 3 hrs from this shop. So i called them to see why the other shop was not answering the phone.
Well the guy at this shop informed me that he was the son of the other shop owner and in fact his dad was rushed to the hospital that saturday, he was infected with corona virus!
My god! My son and I were in close contact with him the day before!
Well we self quarantined for 2 weeks, and we were ok! I called back the gun shop to check on the dads condition and also to see if i could purchase that rossi 92
We agreed on a day and time to meet at the gun shop after CDC sterilized the gunshop .
So by now 3.5 weeks had passed.
I arrived at the gunshop at the agreed upon time, and i immediately asked how the owner was doing, recovering from the corona virus. The guy just kind of froze in his tracks and said, my dad died yesterday.
I was so upset at hearing this, the son told me, he only opened the store to meet me and to sell me the gun, then he was closing up the shop for a few weeks to morn the death of his dad.
I feltso bad for this guy and his family i never felt so bad while buying a new gun,then i did this day.
But anyways, the reason for this post,
The gun has the saftey on the rear of the bolt, but the rifle does not have the action lockout screw behind the hammer.
Can anybody tell me when they started building these rifles with the lockout screw on the hammer?
Thank you David
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: When was hammer lockout screw added?

Post by Ranch Dog »

Well, I think that has to be the gun buying story of the year. Thank you for sharing it.

The "Taurus Security System", the allen key lock, was referenced in the 2014 catalog.
Michael
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

dbur525 wrote: The gun has the saftey on the rear of the bolt, but the rifle does not have the action lockout screw behind the hammer.
Can anybody tell me when they started building these rifles with the lockout screw on the hammer?
Thank you David
The newer guns produced by CBC don't have the lockout screw.

That was a sad story, prayer for the family
Deleted User 327

Post by Deleted User 327 »

Both my 2009 Rossis have the bolt safety (since replaced with a plug or peep sight) but no hammer lockout screw so we've got it bracketed sometime between 2009 and 2014.
dlidster

Post by dlidster »

COSteve wrote:Both my 2009 Rossis have the bolt safety (since replaced with a plug or peep sight) but no hammer lockout screw so we've got it bracketed sometime between 2009 and 2014.
The box my R92 came in is stamped July 9, 2015. That rifle does have the hammer lockout screw,
severnsider

Post by severnsider »

dlidster wrote:
COSteve wrote:Both my 2009 Rossis have the bolt safety (since replaced with a plug or peep sight) but no hammer lockout screw so we've got it bracketed sometime between 2009 and 2014.
The box my R92 came in is stamped July 9, 2015. That rifle does have the hammer lockout screw,
Same here with mine. Although there's no date on the box and no date on the action, the UK proof mark indicates 2015 and mine has the hammer locking screw........