Scope mount

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Scope mount

Post by Ranch Dog »

Archer wrote:You say the iron sights are good to go so that sort of rules out the rifle, the ammo and the shooter with a normal cheek weld? The only thing that's really left is technique with the scout setup OR one of the things you have already checked out has fooled you.

How much of your experience shooting scoped rifles have the scope 15" in front of your face?
A cheek weld when you face is lined up with the scope, and the scope is an inch to three inches in front of your eye is pretty consistent. A chin weld can vary depending on how you hold your mouth, especially with the scope another foot plus in front of your eye.

It is probably pretty easy to rig up a improvised cheek piece on the gun with duct tape and a couple three washcloths or the like and try again. If it is still not working for you then maybe something else is a problem?
Trooper, Archer has laid it out. As an experienced scout rifle shooter, I have 14 centerfire scout rifles, when you mentioned that the rifle was fine with the open sights, I went straight to the cheek weld on a scout. Yes, an inconsistant cheek weld can visually float the reticle off-center. It is amplified with the scout. This is a problem with traditional mounted scopes as the scopes magnification increases. I didn't spend much time searching, but this guys starts to hit on it with an adjustable comb. Head lift or cant effects POI (point of impact) significantly.

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]

I used this catalog picture of the scout to emphsis the space created by the mount.

Now back to the rifle for a bit. If your shot comparison, open sights vs. scope, is the same distance. That totally eliminates the ammuntion or barrel. If they weren't then it might be pressure on the barrel applied by the front barrel band. I've never shot my R92s with open sights, never, only the scoped. I've found issue with the forearm and band fit that affects accuracy, 100 to 200 yards out, and have adjusted that fit on all my R92s. That is another subject for sure.

I'm sure some are reading this and don't understand the scope thing on a R92, but every rifle I buy is a hunting rifle first. I live in South Texas, and in my 60 years of hunting (we hunt a lot here), I've only seen one guy hunt with an open sighted rifle and that was me 60 years ago. That was me, with a Savage 340. At seven years old, I did not have a good cheek weld for scope use, so I shot the 30-30 Win open sighted.

I've shot a bunch of critters with the Rossi Scouts; dozens of whitetails and hundreds of hogs. As I load them, I consider the 44 Mag, 45 Colt, and 454 Casull 200-yard whitetail rifles. The 357 Mag, a 150-yard rifle. I sold my 480 Ruger rifle.
Michael
Nashville Stage

Post by Nashville Stage »

I'll add my agreement that your most likely culprit is an inconsistent cheek weld. I've recently been doing accuracy testing with various ammo and my 92 with a scope mounted to an NOE picatinny rail. The extra height of the scope necessitated the use of a cheek riser with padding to raise my eye while keeping my head in a consistent and repeatable alignment with the rifle.

Here's a slightly more in-depth video about scope mounting & adjustment that includes a good section on cheek height relative to the scope:

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Great video, thanks.
Michael
Fla Trooper 265

Post by Fla Trooper 265 »

Well I finally diagnosed the trouble with my 92 45 Colt. Thinking the problem was my scope I put the iron sights back on. Same problem shots all over the target. Then a light went off in my head. Maybe I had been pushing cast bullets too hard and leaded the barrel. So I cleaned the barrel with Choirboy and put the scope back on. She is back to shooting one hole groups. I loaded some 250 grain nosler hollowpoints over W296 and could not be happier. Thanks for the help Guys.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Thanks for coming back around on this one! So many strings are left open ended because the OP never reports the final resolution. Glad to hear your Rossi is back in service!

Got a chuckle out of your Choirboy cleaning method, too. It’s Chore Boy. It might have been an autocorrect thing, but from here on in, they’re Choirboy pads to me!