Finally Talked Myself Into It

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Deleted User 327

Finally Talked Myself Into It

Post by Deleted User 327 »

Well, I finally got off my duff and decided that my .357 Rossi 20" Carbine, while just great, needed me to admit that the rear sight is just too far from these old eyes to be of practical use to me anymore. I already replaced the front sight with a 1/16" brass bead back when I first got it along with slicking up the action and trigger. So, I took the .040" aperture from the tang I have on my .357 Rossi 24" Rifle and taped it into position on top of the bolt safety plug to ensure that I'd be able to get my eye close enough to the sight aperture to use it and all is well. :D

After reviewing Steve's website, I ordered both his Adjustable Bolt-Mounted Blue Peep Sight Safety Replacement (blued) and a .040" Aperture. I didn't need the Dovetail Slot Blank as I already had one in my parts kit. With the new rear aperture sight, not only am I going to have a 40% longer sight radius (15.5" stock on a 20" carbine extended to 21.5" with the bolt aperture) but with the target aperture, I'm going to be able to see the front sight and the target more clearly (what a concept!!!). :o

Who knows, I might just give the bowling pins at 200 yds a go with my carbine after I install it. For the last 11 years, I've only used my rifle with it's 30" sight radius and target tang sight to 'pop the pins' at 200 yds as well as shooting steel and other larger targets out to 300yds. I have tried the pins at 300yds with it but in truth, the wind has to be calm and I have to be really 'on' as I'm shooting at a 1½ MOA target at that range. But I'm feeling that this might just give me the clear picture I need to give them a go at 200 yds with my carbine as well. :lol:

ETA: Got the sight in yesterday afternoon via our 'Rusty' USPS . . . :|

After fitting the insert and installing the sight, it's solid and all set to get sighted in. As I said above, I'd already taken the old rear sight off and plugged the d&t holes with screw plugs I had. The extra 40% longer sight radius will really come in handy as I'm going to give my carbine a go at those pesky pins at 200yds now even though I'm considering sighting it in a only 150yds. I'm curious to see how the POI with both the 158grn and 125grn bullet loads works out at 150 yds.

Even though many of you think that a .040" aperture seems too small for old eyes to use, the opposite is actually the case. The small aperture enhances your vision, especially if you're older. In fact, those blessed with great eyesight will hardly notice a difference. The small aperture needs to be close to your eye so that the DoF principle works to the fullest and mounting it on the rear of the bolt is perfect for that. So, the view through it is larger than you'd think as I can see the entire front sight and post through it.

Best of all, it's finally clear again and all that 'fuzz' the 1/16" brass bead front sight had grown over the years is gone, just gone. Sighting it out the window at the hill surrounding our valley, it's great to see both the front sight and the rock formation 636 yds away (per Google Earth) clearly. :D