Rossi stainless steel 357 16 inch barrel

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
dbur525

Rossi stainless steel 357 16 inch barrel

Post by dbur525 »

Hi Everyone
Iast week i was in a pawn shop in Montana, i found a rossi stainless steel 357 with 16 inch barrel.
I was so drawn to this rifle, i picked it up and admired it, the action was very smooth! I didn't pay attention to the fit of wood to metal or weather or not it had the dumb saftey switch on the bolt.
Deep in my heart i wanted to buy this rifle! But i have been spending 1000's of dollars on my machine shop / welding shop, and being i was on a camping trip with my youngest child, i opted to walk away from this rifle!
My memories about rossi guns were that they were pretty much junk. But having said this, i still felt that this rifle was one i should have bought!
Anyways, the price is $559 they said it was new!
I came home from the camping trip and started researching the rossi 92!
Im now thinking i need to make the 12 hr trip back to that pawn shop and buy the dang rifle!
I called the shop and the owner is sick and the shop is closed until he recovers!
When he does im driving over to get that rossi!
Hell ! I want it in 45 long colt also!
The 454 casul is a dream, i cant even find one! If i did i would buy it too!
Tell me im not crazy wanting a rossi 92 lever action!
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Rossi stainless steel 357 16 inch barrel

Post by Gunny268 »

You are not crazy for wanting a Rossi 92!
But, I question your temptation for a 12 hour drive for a 357 caliber. I own one (er, two) in that caliber and much prefer the 45 Colt. Also, have my eye on a 44 mag, (a new CBC) that's been sitting in the local Pawn/Gun store. So trust me, I feel your pain.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I'm a leverholic.
Rossi bit me to the point I bought a .44 Mag in a 20" RB SS and a 24" Oct SS plus a .357 20" RB blued.
They were added to a Winchester 94 .44 Mag 20" RB.
And various levers in five different rifle calibers and two rimfire calibers from four different manufacturers.
I don't know as I've driven 12 hours for a deal on a firearm but I have spent a day in transit to pick one up and bring it back.
TinMan
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by TinMan »

If you factor in the cost in time and money that you would spend driving back out to buy that rifle, your better off just finding one nearer to your home or online. As I write this, KYGUNCO has 8 Rossi rifles in either .45 Colt or .44 Mag in stock.....5 of them are 16" bbls...........prices go from $508.99 to $555.99.

https://www.kygunco.com/Search/AjaxSear ... Direction=
"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
George Orwell

"Fight only when you must. But if it's unavoidable.....fight like your the third monkey trying to get on the Ark."
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by rondog »

They're addictive, that's for sure! But a 12 hour drive for one that may or may not be there, and you don't remember details about, is a bit extreme.

At the least, call first and reserve it, give a deposit if you have to. But I'd try to find one locally first. I definitely recommend buying one in person over on-line or from an auction or private seller somewhere else. One you can look over closely.

Above all, check the cartridge stop and make sure it works properly. They're spring loaded, if it flops around you'll have feeding problems and you'll have to take it apart to fix it.
dbur525

Post by dbur525 »

Thanks all who responded.
Yes, i did reserve the rifle, it was put up,behind the gun counter, on the phone they told me fit and finish was very good, and the action was slick for a rossi.
Actual drive time was 9 hours, but i made a short vacation out of the trip, with my wife, we visited some ghost towns and a hot springs. The bonus was getting the gun.
Besides,ive know this guy for over 10 years and have bought guns from him before
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Gunny268 »

Now that is an, almost perfect, road trip!