My First Rossi-R92 Stainless .45 Colt Carbine

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
vonfilm

My First Rossi-R92 Stainless .45 Colt Carbine

Post by vonfilm »

Today I stopped by my friendly local gun store to look again at the Stainless R92 Carbine in .45 Colt that I had seen a week before. I guess panic buying does not extend to Rossi's. I carefully examined it and asked if I could cycle the action. I cycled the action over and over again. It cycled easily, every bit as slick and smooth as my JM Marlins and my Henry Big Boy .327. I tried the trigger pull-estimating it at 3-4 pounds and very crisp. The stock and forearm were nice with the wood showing a little bit of figure. The stainless metalwork was excellent. The only flaw that I could find was that the right ear of the semi-buckhorn sight was noticeably taller than the left. I plan to remove it anyway and use an aperture sight.

I offered about $25 more than I could get it online including shipping and transfer. The owner asked for $10 more than that and I said lets go. It was worth a little extra to be able to examine it in person.No .45 Colt ammunition was available there today.

I am trying to determine the best aperture sight. I am considering the Marble's tang sight and the little aperture sight that replaces the safety that is available from Steve's Gunz. Any others I should consider? I will also have to get some .45 Colt reloading dies and some cast rnfp boolits. Maybe replace some springs and do some internal polishing in the future. A metal magazine follower is probably a must. If it functions correctly with cartridges, I would say that it does not require further work unless you are looking for CAS racegun perfection.

I have always wanted a Model 92 Winchester, especially in 25-20. The high price of a nice genuine Winchester and the high cost of 25-20 ammo and components has always made me pause. The R92 makes me want one more than ever-maybe someday.
Rib111

Re: My First Rossi-R92 Stainless .45 Colt Carbine

Post by Rib111 »

I went with the Gunz aperture, as I wanted the smallest footprint (I carry the rifle in a scabbard on a horse). The groove for the roll pin that secures the sight was too large, as others have noted, so a minute with a mini-round file made a second groove 90 deg to the original that was shallow and slightly impinged visually in the roll pin hole made for a very secure fixation. I zeroed for 25 meters, and secured the lock nut with blue loctite. Works great. Congrats!
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Two other options are the Williams side mount and the Skinner. I have the Marbles, and it gets my nod. Had the Steve’s, but went back to the safety. I engage the safety whenever I’m unloading, and I like that feature.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Both my '92s wear Marbles tang sights. A 45 Colt 20" octagon and a 357 20" round. Both worked with the factory front, although I have a Lyman globe to put on the 45 when I get time.

Stay well, be safe, make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
josef644

Post by josef644 »

I'm pretty new here and not sure how to move photos from one thread to another one. So here
http://rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6755

I love this Williams peep sight.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wayland

Post by Wayland »

Take a look at the Marble's barrel mounted ghost ring sight -- its cheaper and easier to install. I mounted Skinner peeps on my Marlin, but they are not suited for the top ejecting Rossi. So, I installed the ghost ring sight on my 92 and really like it.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Wayland wrote:Take a look at the Marble's barrel mounted ghost ring sight -- its cheaper and easier to install. I mounted Skinner peeps on my Marlin, but they are not suited for the top ejecting Rossi. So, I installed the ghost ring sight on my 92 and really like it.
There's a lot of room on the 92 where the bolt doesn't retract to put the Williams receiver mounted sights.
vonfilm

Post by vonfilm »

Wayland wrote:Take a look at the Marble's barrel mounted ghost ring sight -- its cheaper and easier to install. I mounted Skinner peeps on my Marlin, but they are not suited for the top ejecting Rossi. So, I installed the ghost ring sight on my 92 and really like it.
Wayland,
I have ordered the Marble's Bullseye sight for my R92. If it works for me it will keep my carbine, simple, slender, and light weight. This can be easily changed if it is not the right sight for me. It was only $20 at Midway.
btoran

Post by btoran »

Congrats on the new gun. Another aperture option.

https://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopi ... &start=130
Bruce

Rossi R92 16" SS .357
Lee Classic Turret Press

Don't eat anything bigger than your head!
vonfilm

Post by vonfilm »

My Marble’s “Bullseye” sight is now installed. I call it a good sight picture, and better than the stock semi-buckhorn. I don’t think most people will notice it unless they look down the barrel.My first hand loads are ready, 6.6 grains of Bullseye behind a 250 grain Rimrock Bullets rnfp. I hope to get out to the club this week for accuracy and function checks. I loaded 100 rounds in new R-P brass .

Next I want to install a rear sling swivel stud and a front magazine clamp swivel stud. I should be able to use my Marlin sling with Uncle Mike’s swivels to carry it hunting. Hopefully I will have a suitable woodland location this fall for hog and deer hunting. Fallback is the National Forest.

I just love this tiny, featherweight, big-bore, stainless trapper -perfect for woods loafing and still-hunting. Do I need an Italian SAA .45 Colt clone to go along with it?