Williams FP on My Rossi R92

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.

Williams FP on My Rossi R92

Postby josef644 » 18 Jul 2020 20:08

I saw on another forum where a fellow had a good photo spread of him installing a Williams FP sight on his Rossi R92. I wanted these myself as I am 73, and the eyes aren't always happy with trying to get a sight picture. Two holes need to be drilled and tapped to 6-48 threads. I took my sights and my rifle to a local gunsmith. I was quoted 40-50 bucks. Was called a week later and told my gun was ready. Scurred down, and behold no sights, holes. The gunsmith came out and advised me that he called Williams Sights, and they told him hese were not correct for my gun. He refused to drill and tap. Young guy.
I went to Harbor Freight and bought me an 8" tabletop drill press. Once home I ordered a 6-48 tap from MidwayUSA. I found carbide # 31 drill bits from an outfit in Florida.

I didn't want to drill to far forward and hit the rear of the left side cartridge guide. Found me a sweet spot. After drilling and tapping the hole, I mounted the sight in the receiver to center punch for the second hole. the first screw didn't protrude into anything. Sweet!!! Second hole was a piece of cake. Second hole tapped. Second screw didn't come in too deep either. I had to file a small amount of chaff from around the two holes. Very easy to do. If you like the Williams peep sight don't be afraid of doing this at home.
IMG_7111.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
josef644

My Rossi Choice: M92

Re: Williams FP on My Rossi R92

Postby Archer » 18 Jul 2020 20:54

Have you shot it yet?

I'm guessing Williams didn't have a drilling template for the poor child and he's overly cautious about simply bolting what the customer wants on their gun. It LOOKS like it should work and unlike many of the Williams I've seen on older guns looks like the adjustments are easy and don't require two to three hands and a screw driver.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Postby HarryAlonzo » 18 Jul 2020 22:15

The target knobs make it really easy to dial in the zero for different loads. Nice work!
HarryAlonzo
Supporter
Supporter

Postby TinMan » 19 Jul 2020 10:14

Looks great....nice write-up....well done!
"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
George Orwell

"Fight only when you must. But if it's unavoidable.....fight like your the third monkey trying to get on the Ark."
TinMan
Supporter
Supporter

Postby barracudadave67 » 19 Jul 2020 13:33

Nice job josef, Im an ole fart also, (76) and still do a lot of my own gunsmithing, and Mopar engine building.
Keep up he good work.
Dave
barracudadave67

Postby josef644 » 19 Jul 2020 15:48

Archer wrote:Have you shot it yet?

I'm guessing Williams didn't have a drilling template for the poor child and he's overly cautious about simply bolting what the customer wants on their gun. It LOOKS like it should work and unlike many of the Williams I've seen on older guns looks like the adjustments are easy and don't require two to three hands and a screw driver.

I am guessing he only does pre drilled scope mounts etc.
josef644

Postby Ranch Dog » 20 Jul 2020 06:24

Great job Josef!
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Rossi Choice: Rio Grande

Postby Missionary » 20 Jul 2020 16:32

Looks good and will serve you fine ! I am all for people doing their own work. Sad thing is the young feller left you hanging all that time.
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
Missionary
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Postby josef644 » 04 Aug 2020 10:25

Was able to get to the range today. I was able to shrink my groups in half with these sights. I injured my strong eye,(right), in 1990. I was able to shoot with it pretty dang good too. I am impressed.
josef644

Postby rman » 12 Aug 2020 23:22

Good job Josef. I had a gunsmith mount an FP on my 92. I don't have the tools or expertise to do it myself. The gunsmith told me that mine was made out of the hardest steel he had ever seen and asked me not to bring him any more. I really like mine and use the the little rifle for Pistol Caliber Cowboy silhouette matches.
At my age, there IS nothing better than shooting.
rman
500 Shots
500 Shots

Next

Return to 92