Need urgent help choosing Rossi! / Нужна срочная помощь!

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Need urgent help choosing Rossi! / Нужна срочная помощь!

Post by Archer »

Congratulations on the new rifle. I hope it works out well for you and gets you what you need.
Let us know how it shoots!

That article has come up a few times. It is an excellent description of modifying the gun to a take down model without having to go with interrupted threads. The guy who did that work IMO did an excellent job. A few years ago the pictures disappeared from the article as one of the hosting sites decided to start charging for storage but the author apparently reloaded the pictures. The measurements I posted should agree with what the guy posting the article found with regards to the barrel dimensions.
-------------

I don't personally use the .45 Colt and don't load for it.
How fast you can push a bullet will depend on what components you can get and how hard you want to push the gun and the brass. To some extent the harder you push the brass the less life you will get from it. That can be true of the gun as well. You can extend the brass life by annealing the brass occasionally but you have to be careful not to go to far in the annealing process or you will ruin the brass. IF you can get resupply of brass without too much trouble it may mean annealing the brass isn't worth the effort.
Sierra's Reloading manual lists loads in their rifle section 'specifically for the Winchester and Marlin lever action rifles and should not be used in revolvers or weaker actions.' The 92 is generally considered one of the strong lever actions. The date used a 16" Winchester 94. Loads listed are for a 240 grain jacketed bullet between 1300 FPS and 1550 FPS and for a 300 grain jacketed bullet from 1200 FPS to 1500 FPS.

Note no one powder covers the extreme velocity spread. Faster powders generally cover the lower end of the velocity area and slower 'magnum pistol' powders cover the higher end. When you approach the heavier loads variations in components, brand and type of primers, thickness or type of the jacket material and/or the type of core material, variations in the size and smoothness of the chamber/barrel and the temperature, altitude and humidity can make a difference. A load that you develop that is perfectly safe at 70 degrees F may not be so safe on a 104+ F day where the ammo has been heat soaked. Certain powders may be sensitive to temperature extremes. A load that is moderate at 80 degrees F may be very light at -10 degrees F.

There are others here who shoot .45 Colt who may have better advice or actual experience with loading .45 Colt. I know there are guys here who are casters and who have a lot more experience with running cast bullets than I do.

Remember YOU are responsible for any reloading you do and that means regardless of where you get the data you need to do your own verification and use your own judgement as to when enough is enough. Just because someone says you can use a certain load, either heavy or light, does not mean it is a safe load in your rifle and your conditions. You may get a bullet stuck in your barrel with a light load and have to knock it out manually or you might find someone else's favorite load is too much for your gun the hard way. Do work carefully. Verify that the load looks reasonable. IF you are working toward a heavy load work up a little at a time as you approach the 'maximum' and examine the cartridge cases, the primers and if anything looks like it isn't right stop and if needed back off.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I cast and load for 45 Colt at 250-ish grains and about 900 FPS but I don't use gas checks, don't hunt with it, and don't have a rifle in 45 Colt, only a single action revolver.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
trekker

Post by trekker »

See Paco kellys article on the 45 colt in a Rossi 1892 Lever action.
He classes it strong enough to handle 45,000 PSI which means 300 grain bullets to 2000fps. (20 gram bullets to 610 metres per second, 3600 Joules)
Thats plenty of power for most big game, 454 would not really be needed.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/ ... vergun.htm