Model 92 locked up

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Rib111

Re: Model 92 locked up

Post by Rib111 »

Good on ya, mate! I personally hate shipping guns back to the manufacturer. It costs a lot of money to ship them there, and horror stories of misplaced, stolen, broken and unrepaired guns abound. I had a Remington go back to the factory 3 times, which with the 6-8 week turnaround amd shipping delays, ate up the remainder of the warranty, and it sill misfed.
stang

Post by stang »

Everything was removed from the action except the bolt. This allowed me to look in from the bottom and see that the one pin was sticking out. I was then able to get a flat head screw driver in beside it and by twisting the screw driver push that pin back in enough to remove the bolt. Once the bolt was out the pin was tapped back in. The pins seem tight so I'm not sure how it came out, maybe it was never set all the way into the ejector.
Fired it today and it worked well.
stang

Post by stang »

Update: It jammed again since on me. Same pin backed out, the original pin is not a snug fit. I replaced it with the same size roll pin which fits nice and snug. So far it all works like it should.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

At least one of those pins is supposed to have a knurled end. It is important to install that pin the right direction starting opposite the knurling and to drive it out knurling first. IF it gets installed and removed too much the knurling may not keep it in place. It isn't unusual to see a pin bent slightly to aid it staying put. Very common on some sights that one of the pins wants to walk out under recoil and bending it slightly can sometimes help it stay in place.

I'm not a huge fan of roll pins although they have their uses and I see them more and more on modern firearms.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Put a smaller pin inside the one already installed to make it stronger.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

You could always lightly stake them in.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

GasGuzzler wrote:Put a smaller pin inside the one already installed to make it stronger.
just asking .... have you done this?

Sounds like a good idea

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
JimN
Supporter
Supporter

Post by JimN »

If I was concerned that a roll pin wasn't beefy enough, depending on cost and availability, my first choice would be to find a coiled spring pin before I did a pin in pin scenario.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

mr surveyor wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:Put a smaller pin inside the one already installed to make it stronger.
just asking .... have you done this?

Sounds like a good idea

jd
SIG does that on their guns that have removable breech blocks. Its basically a roll pin in a hole, then with the opening 180 degrees opposite, another roll pin inside the "hole" created by the first pin. The advantage of that scenario is that its strong, but still has just a little bit of "give", and its own built in spring tension, so it does not walk out of the hole. I might be full of prunes on this, but I seem to recall that SIG says not to reuse those pins, if you need to remove the block for some reason. And I also seem to recall that they seem considerably oversize for the hole they fit in, and are a mo'fo to start to the point that you gotta cheat a little and squeeze the end with about 1/8 inch of pin protruding your needle nose vice grips in order to get it done. Its been 20 years or so since I last did that in the old shop, and things may well have changed.

If I had pins walk, seriously... I'd just shorten them so they were a little "under flush" and stake things and be done with it. Its not like that part needs to come out, perhaps never come out.