Model 92 locked up

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Model 92 locked up

Post by Mad Trapper »

Did you try backing out the bolt pin stop screw a couple turns?
https://www.leverguns.com/articles/tayl ... _strip.htm
stang

Post by stang »

73gitane wrote:Thinking back on this, even with screws removed and parts moving around, the bolt may have only freed up as a result of the pins moving back into position. Once the bolt was finally out I think the pins were in their proper place. It wasn't till I dropped the bolt on my work bench did I notice that one of the pins was loose and moved out a bit on its own. That's when the light bulb finally lit up:^)
That sure sounds like my issue. Would it only allow the bolt to come back about 1/2 inch
stang

Post by stang »

Mad Trapper wrote:Did you try backing out the bolt pin stop screw a couple turns?
https://www.leverguns.com/articles/tayl ... _strip.htm
Yes I did to no avail.
73gitane

Post by 73gitane »

Hi Stang,

I just sent a PM with my cell number if you would like to go over details on how I fixed mine.

Steve
Nashville Stage

Post by Nashville Stage »

Another thing you can try is to drift out the bolt/lever attachment pin (like you would when disassembling the action). That pin doesn't have to be mis-seated by very much to jam up the works. Removing it entirely would confirm/eliminate that as a possible cause of the problem.

You mentioned that your model has the hammer setscrew lock. Are you able to manually cock the hammer all the way back without jamming?
stang

Post by stang »

Tried that, that pin is not the problem and yes the hammer can be fully cocked.
dlidster

Post by dlidster »

I hate it when others guess at situations/solutions, so I hesitate to to enter this discussion with an offering, but . . . I once had an ejector collar break into two pieces. It tied up the action much as the OP described. I fiddled, wiggled, and jiggled the action (without any undo force) till it finally came apart. I didn't realize the broken collar was the problem till after the action was disassembled.

I purchased two replacement collars from Steve -- just in case. That was four years ago. So far so good.

As I said, just a guess. I'm only throwing this out as another option to consider.
stang

Post by stang »

73gitane wrote:
ejector pins.jpg
This happened on my Braztech. The two ejector pins loosened and starting hitting up against the guides. It was a %@*&$ to find. Once I finally got it apart I put a bow in the pins so they wouldn't slide out again.
That was my problem one of the two pins had backed out enough to lock up the action.
Thanks to everyone here for the kind help.
73gitane

Post by 73gitane »

That's great Stang! Good to hear you got it fixed. Your Braztech as well as mine are the only two that I know of that have locked up as a result of a loose ejector pin. Perhaps there are more but I couldn't find any other instances searching on the web. There was another fellow that posted for help recently on a locked 92 but I think he gave up on it and sold the rifle for parts.

My advice to folks with newer Braztechs is to check the ejector pins for looseness if you ever disassemble your rifle for cleaning.
Nashville Stage

Post by Nashville Stage »

That's great! I'm glad you guys were able to diagnose and fix the problem. Would you mind sharing your technique for getting the action un-stuck enough to disassemble it?