When did CBC start 92's and are they better?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
trekker

When did CBC start 92's and are they better?

Post by trekker »

Fellas are CBC the new makers of Rossi 92's? When did they start making them? I keep hearing folks say "get a new CBC one, they are better than the old Braztech and Taurus" but searches on the internet have references to CBC all the way back to 1992.... so how does this timeline work?

I ask as I have a friend wishing to buy a new rossi 92 357 stainless 20" barrel from the LGS and I was wondering how to tell who made it, and whether its worth waiting/hunting for a CBC made version to hit the shelves?
trekker

Re: When did CBC start 92's and are they better?

Post by trekker »

More searches reveal about 2017 was then they took over. Also that the stainless versions apparently had a few problems with the bolt slide.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

From where I researched this when the question was brought up a week or so ago:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6717 (There's another post or two on that thread summarizing some more of what I dug up. Here is the first summary:)

CBC bought Forjas Taurus and Taurus Holdings Inc. back in 2015. (Companhia Brasileira de Cartuchos)

Apparently Taurus Holdings was founded in 1982 for certain operations (probably mostly U.S. importation etc.) and at some point included as 'subsidary branded firearms'
Taurus International Manufacturing Inc (Taurus)
Braztech International, LC (Rossi) (~1998 until the CBC markings started.)
Heritage Manufacturing, Inc (Heritage)

CBC also owns Magtech, MEN, Seller and Bellot.

So for some reason CBC has decided to replace the Braztech imprint with CBC but I am not sure that means there's a substantial difference in the assembly or manufacture of the underlying rifle. A lot of the reports of the Braztech guns were good quite a few reports were less than acceptable. I'm not sure we have enough CBC reports to draw a conclusion. Time and more reports should tell us something.
trekker wrote:More searches reveal about 2017 was then they took over. Also that the stainless versions apparently had a few problems with the bolt slide.

Sounds like about when they changed the markings. The first problem post I recall involved pictures of the locking lugs and the raceways for the lugs in the receiver. The guys who have posted recently seem to be pretty happy with them.
trekker

Post by trekker »

Thanks Archer. Rossi's convoluted history takes yet another turn :D But sounds like it is business as normal, its a great model of gun. I'll tell my friend to go and get himself one.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I recommend looking over the gun pretty well before doing the paperwork.
Use some snap caps if you can to cycle it. Be aware the snap caps aren't perfect and may show potential issues that aren't really there. My .357 for example will work with .38 snap caps but the caps are slightly undersized and allows them to over rotate is you run the lever fast enough.

Take a look at this thread for inspection ideas:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=708&hilit=pre+purchase+check+list
Rib111

Post by Rib111 »

I recently ordered and picked up a CBC 16” SS Rossi 92 in 45 Colt. Overall, it’s in good shape. I went through the Steve Gunz DVD on it, and found some relative improvements compared to what I expected. The trigger pull out of the box was 4.25 lbs with no creep. After mildly hourglassing the trigger spring and putting an AN960-8 washer under it, it’s now 3.5 lbs. The extractor has apparently been thinned down by CBC; the DVD mod appeared to have been already done. The friction stud also appeared to have smoothed out by the factory. One defect found was was an internal buckle on the magazine tube where the front band was screwed in precluding a metal follower from going in. That was resolved with a round file. I put in a Palo Verde middle hammer spring (they offer 5 different choices) and ejector spring, as well. The stock ejector spring wasn’t excessive, as cases weren’t being launched into orbit, but rather 6-8 ft away, but after switching springs, they drop at my feet or in some instances into my shirt pocket. How cool is that?

I had problems initially with Berry 250 gr Flat Point (FP) reloads feeding, and did some polishing and mild filing of the right guide channel, as Starline brass seemed to hang up there. Factory rounds didn’t have nearly the feed issue. I eventually settled on a barely visible roll crimp and chamfering new cases with a 1.564 - 1.570” OAL. By putting a little more “snap” into the lever action, I was able to fire 40 reloads today, with only one hiccup, and that round I soft stroked - so, my bad.

The only other thing I didn’t like was the surface of the carrier, or lifter, as it’s sometimes called, was very rough. I smoothed it with a series of knife hones and it’s much better. The furniture fits well, and the finish doesn’t seem to be water-soluble. I like it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Rib111 on 31 May 2020 11:55, edited 5 times in total.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I haven't ripped mine apart for a detailed look see, but I found much the same on my guns from 2014, as much as I could tell and is one of the reasons I haven't ripped them down yet.
Umpire

Post by Umpire »

trekker wrote:Fellas are CBC the new makers of Rossi 92's? When did they start making them? I keep hearing folks say "get a new CBC one, they are better than the old Braztech and Taurus" but searches on the internet have references to CBC all the way back to 1992.... so how does this timeline work?

I ask as I have a friend wishing to buy a new rossi 92 357 stainless 20" barrel from the LGS and I was wondering how to tell who made it, and whether its worth waiting/hunting for a CBC made version to hit the shelves?
Rossi CBC made are by far the best Rossi rifles ever made, I had the Amadeo Rossi Puma, the Rossi Taurus and the CBC. The Amadeos and Taurus both had issues feeding 357 magnum and the Taurus doesn’t work with any Winchester ammunition either 38 spl or 357 , my new CBC works smooth with all 357 ammunition like works with 38 special
Fordtruckfan89

Post by Fordtruckfan89 »

This is a tip related to the CBC made guns. To replace the safety in my CBC 357, with a smooth plug,I had to drift the pin in the bolt the opposite directions you would if it were being done in a Taurus Rossi.
Dusty

16" M92 blued 357
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

A Puma is not the same as an original Amedeo Rossi R92.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.