.44 mag to .44-40

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Oldman11

.44 mag to .44-40

Post by Oldman11 »

What would it take to rechamber a Rossi 92 from .44 mag to .44-40? I have either a carbine or a rifle in .44 mag.
The reason Iā€™m asking is I have over 20 boxes of.44-40 ammo and only one single shot rolling block in 44-40 To shoot it in. If I change out the barrel will I have to do anything else besides head spacing? Thanks
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: .44 mag to .44-40

Post by Archer »

I think it would be a barrel change but I am not certain.

2 cases of ammo would not get me to change any of my .44 mags to .44-40 however.
IMO .44 Mag is easier to reload, easier to get factory fresh ammo, easier to get new or OFB brass.
I think the .44 Mag ammo may also be less expensive and most .44-40 ammo on the market is down loaded to make it safe for use in replicas and vintage revolvers. Getting high powered .44-40 ammo is a matter of reloading buying a boutique brand at added expense or locating some of the rather limited production produced by Winchester once in a long while. AND the .44-40 high pressure ammo is probably not a good idea in non 92 Winchester type designs.

400+ rounds of ammo is a large supply for a single shot. IF you plan on reloading it and continuing to maintain a large quantity of that caliber then it might be worth getting a repeater in that caliber.

There are several pages of .44-40 firearms for sale on gunbroker. (After the first few you are picking through a few .44 listings that have nothing to do with .44-40 to find the ones that are the right caliber.) A lot of the sellers seem to think they have a collector item or are looking for someone dumb enough to pay them for one whether or not that is what they are selling. There are however a fair number of nice firearms trending in the $450 to $600+ range in the first few pages, some with buy it now prices that seem almost reasonable. Assuming the ammo you have is not the 'rifle only' stuff there's a number of nice revolvers for example. There's also the option of ordering something through a local dealer.

Either way, keep us informed on what you decide to do.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Probably cost the same to buy another rifle.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
TinMan
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by TinMan »

GasGuzzler wrote:Probably cost the same to buy another rifle.
...................this.............

Just enjoy shooting the rolling block until that ammo is expended.......then see if you still want another rifle in that caliber. +corn
"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
George Orwell

"Fight only when you must. But if it's unavoidable.....fight like your the third monkey trying to get on the Ark."