Rossi 92 with loading/feeding problems

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Rossi 92 with loading/feeding problems

Post by Gunny268 »

I have now acquired a “not much used” Braztech R92 in 357 that has had some “work”. Previous owner complained that it wouldn’t even load 38 Special cartridges without jamming and that it was very finicky cycling 357.
His work included a complete stock and forearm refinish with the Birchwood Casey refinishing kit, and it looks pretty good when compared to my Puma M92 .357. (The wife now tells me she prefers cocking the standard sized loop on this rifle over the larger “cool looking” loop on my Puma 92. I’ve agreed to disagree.)
IMG_0521.JPG
He also swapped the springs with a Palo Verde spring kit and stainless steel magazine tube follower. The “work” also included the modification of the resting angle of the cartridge stop in an attempt to resolve the inability to load multiple 38 Spl. cartridges into the magazine tube.
I’ve done a complete disassembly and cleaning per RD’s sage advice. And after reassembly and lubing we have had no problems cycling and firing my 357 reloads (COL is 1.575 with the 127 gr. poly coated Badman Bullet.) I’ve also taken the rifle and experimented with some dummy 38 Spl. and 357 cartridges with bullets seated at various COL. I’ve observed two significant details in that endeavor.
First, the 38 Spl. rounds – bullet seated to the SAAMI spec of 1.550 – are not long enough to have the second or subsequent rounds push the rim of the previous round past the cartridge stop. Even jamming the little finger into the loading port is insufficient to push the rim of the last loaded round beyond the cartridge stop to hold the rounds in the magazine tube. Secondly, using 357 brass, no cartridges shorter than 1.565 will chamber from the mag tube without some encouragement. They will load into the mag tube well enough, but cycling rounds from the mag tube to the chamber with 1.565 COL cartridges is a “some will - some won’t” proposition.
I’ve visually compared the internal action of the R92 against my Puma M92 and can see a significant difference between the two. The R92 appears to have components dimensionally different than my Puma M92 and the metal surfaces don’t seem as well machined.
IMG_0523.JPG
I hope to utilize my skills to resolve the loading and cycling issues for this rifle.
But you, the Members, are much more knowledgeable than me in the “working out the kinks” of this weapon platform. Any advice or comments will be most welcome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Rossi 92 with loading/feeding problems

Post by Archer »

I'd start by looking hard at what's different between the two regarding the OAL of .38 SP and the way the gun functions.

Cartridge stop for one thing. There's a thread or five on that sort of thing on this site. You should NOT however have to stick your finger up in the loading gate to get the previous round past the cartridge stop. The LAST round may require a small nudge to clear the loading gate itself but once it is in the gun the round in front of it should be past the cartridge stop in the mag tube unless maybe you are trying to load something like flush wadcutters or bullets that are otherwise very very short.

I've never really heard of anyone bending the cartridge lifter and I'm not certain that it's a part that would respond well to being bent once let alone multiple times.

There are several threads on feeding issues, cartridge guides, etc..
Umpire

Post by Umpire »

Unfortunately feeding issues is a common problem in all Amadeo Rossi and Taurus rifles, newer CBC made 92s are way better and smooth, mine works perfectly with both 38/357 cartridges, I hope someone can give you a good advice to fix it, my advice is don’t waste time and money, put them on sale and get a new CBC
Fordtruckfan89

Post by Fordtruckfan89 »

I'd talk to Steve young about it.
Dusty

16" M92 blued 357
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Gunny268 »

I don't think I would part with my LSI imported Puma M92. It has functioned flawlessly with every round (38 and 357) I've put through it. The wood is pleasing to the eye, and the fit and finish to metal is excellent. Its accuracy is such that I have complete confidence when shooting it. No, it's a keeper.
The Rossi/Braztech R92 is a different story. The wood is decent (having been "refinished") and the fit and finish to metal is acceptable. The only real problem is the inability to load 38 Spl cartridges. This is a situation, with this particular rifle, that I have the time and inclination to address.
It loads and cycles 357 (if loaded within COL length of 1.565 to 1.580) without complaint. Its accuracy has also been more than acceptable. This is merely a situation where I'd rather be able to utilize my 38 brass and not be over utilizing my 357 brass to feed two rifles.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Umpire wrote:Unfortunately feeding issues is a common problem in all Amadeo Rossi and Taurus rifles,
My old model Amedeo Rossi feeds from .38 Special @ 1.480" to long magnum @ 1.6315" with no mods.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Umpire

Post by Umpire »

GasGuzzler wrote:
Umpire wrote:Unfortunately feeding issues is a common problem in all Amadeo Rossi and Taurus rifles,
My old model Amedeo Rossi feeds from .38 Special @ 1.480" to long magnum @ 1.6315" with no mods.

My Amadeo Rossi works good with any 38 Special, but different story with 357 magnum... always hard to load even with light semi wadcutter ammunition
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I have not tried to run wadcutters or semi-wadcutters through any of my rifles with the possible exception of the Winchester 94 in .44 Mag and the 1886 in .45-70. There's some appeal in the Keith style bullets but they are not particularly noted for exceptional feeding in any lever actions that I'm aware.

All three of my Braztech Rossi R92s have feed all the jacketed and plated rounds I've tried to run through them.
No issues loading, cycling, or chambering those rounds from several different manufacturers and my reloads. The guns include a .44 Mag SS Octagonal 24", a .44 Mag SS round barrel 20" and a .357/.38 Blued round barrel 20". The .357 has feed both .357 and .38s smoothly and without hiccups. In a couple weeks I'll have some .44 LSWC loaded and may try them in the guns but that's not what I'm intending to use them in.

I have a friend with a .357/.38 saddle ring Rossi. His feeds .38s without any problems. It has a tendency to be a little less than smooth with lightweight bullet .357 mag loads. Apparently the heavier (longer) loads contact the top of the chamber and tip over in line with the chamber more quickly while the shorter ones wind up more straight up when they first contact the chamber wall and are more likely to cause a 'hitch' in the levering action. For some reason this isn't compounded on his gun with the .38s?
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I don't own any jacketed .357 and never will. I mainly use RNFP and agree the SWC isn't the best choice for a lever. I also don't shoot any .38 Special any more and I never load light for cartridge such as 125 or 145 grain .357 bullets so I don't need mine to do odd things even though it will.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
dlidster

Post by dlidster »

It's interesting that the personalities of 92s relating to feeding differ almost as much as those of their owners. My Rossi .38/357 R92 feeds smoothly with both .38 Special and .357 Magnum. Unlike what some have experienced here, I've found SWCs feed as well as TC (truncated cone) bullets, which are my bullets of choice. One caveat, though: I shoot only reloads; never factory ammunition. What follows is a description of seven loads that work and one that won't . . .

On the left are the .38 loads; on the right are the .357 loads. The bullet profile, manufacturer, and cartridge overall length (COAL) are as follows:

.38 Special
RNFP, SNS, 1.36"
TCBB, MBC, 1.46"
LSWC, SNS, 1.46"
CSWC, BB, 1.52

.357 Magnum
RNFP, SNS, 1.49"
TCBB, MBC, 1.59"
LSWC, SNS, 1.61"
CSWC, BB, 1.60"

Note: The .38 RNFP at 1.36" won't work in the 92. It's too short and will allow two cartridges to feed from the magazine tube into the receiver. That's bad news. The three other .38 loads cycle perfectly. All of the .357 loads are ideal. Model 92s from all manufacturers in all calibers are designed for cartridge with a COAL of 1.6".

Finally, I shoot .38s almost exclusively in this rifle because I have at least two five-gallon buckets of brass, but still save every one I fire that's not split. In.38 Special I shoot only coated bullets. They don't leave a crud ring so I can shoot .357s without having to scour the chamber. I shoot conventional lubricated lead bullets in .357, as I do with my .44 Magnum and .44/40.

Manufacturer Codes: SNS = SNS Casting; MBC + Missouri Bullet Company; BB = Blue Bullets.

Cartridge-Length-CL.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.