new Skinner scope mount for Rossi 92

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: new Skinner scope mount for Rossi 92

Post by Archer »

RD,
Any idea what ranges you've been knocking the hawgs down at?

Sort of curious as I recently heard someone comment on maximum range of the .44 Mag that seemed a bit low to me. Granted it ain't a flat trajectory but if you go back to before 1895 or so not much was.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Archer wrote:RD,
Any idea what ranges you've been knocking the hawgs down at?

Sort of curious as I recently heard someone comment on maximum range of the .44 Mag that seemed a bit low to me. Granted it ain't a flat trajectory but if you go back to before 1895 or so not much was.
My average range of a kill is 75 yards either under hog lights or the full moon. My longest kill was with the 45 Colt carbine, about 20 minutes before sunrise. That was 197-yards. Even though it was getting light, it would have been an impossible shot with open or receiver sights. Please remember a hog is the same color as the brush, there is no resolution when sighting at the animal. Sometimes it can be even tough with a scope. My full moon hunting is done with a two-dimensional target. Just a black silhouette, no depth and that makes it different if you haven't experienced it.

What's funny is the closest shot was 8', made at noon with the scope. I saw some piglets playing on a powerline ROW that leads to my house. Moma's around somewhere and she is asleep in that the little ones are out in the open. I moved down the post oak and yaupon timbered ROW. The wind was perfect and blowing. I tiptoed right up where I could hear her snoring but because the yaupon is so thick, I could not see her. I was looking through the scope at the sound, given up visually, and saw a fly buzzing, I knew it had to be bugging her. Just as I thought that I saw her flick the fly away with her ear 8' from the muzzle. Her head was at a bad angle, it is easy to get a glancing blow on a large hog. Instead, I lowered the crosshairs 5" and that large flat point on my 44 bullet removed her throat. Even after the shot, I could not see her with my eyes. I had to cut the brush back to get her out of there.

For 15 years, I'm out in the brush most of the full moon nights. My wife once said she couldn't do it because she is afraid of the Cucuí (mexican boogeyman). I told her, that it wasn't a problem for me because I am the Cucuí!
Michael
jdl447

Post by jdl447 »

Archer wrote:Everything I found that was close was under Scope Mounts but no 92.

http://www.skinnersights.com/scope_mounts_31.html

I'm guessing a phone call is required.
It’s there at the bottom of the page. $39.00
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Only available black anodized. That’s disappointing.

I’m pretty sure I’d need an offset mount on the front. And good luck finding an offset mount that’s lower than AR (1-1/2 inch) height.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I see it but I'm reasonably sure it wasn't on the page when I looked a couple days ago.

A clear anodize should be possible.
btoran

Post by btoran »

Has anyone tried this mount yet? If so, how is it? I just ordered one and will post my comparison to the NOE mount, which I’m using now with a NC Star 2.5 x 30 scope. My primary reason for wanting it is the lower profile and potential ability to move the scope a little further down the rail.
Bruce

Rossi R92 16" SS .357
Lee Classic Turret Press

Don't eat anything bigger than your head!
btoran

Post by btoran »

As a followup, I received the rail and it is indeed low profile. I noticed the supplied screws worked themselves out pretty easily using very light .357 loads, so longer screws or some lock tight is in order.

Also, I found the rail extends forward toward the barrel a much shorter distance than the NOE mount and extends a much further distance back toward the stock than the NOE mount. I could only mount my NC Star Scope on the very first rail position or the ocular bell would be in the way of ejected cartridges.

Overall, I prefer the NOE mount.
Bruce

Rossi R92 16" SS .357
Lee Classic Turret Press

Don't eat anything bigger than your head!