Sight-Through Rings

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Sight-Through Rings

Post by HarryAlonzo »

I’ve long had a conflicting desire for Picatinny rails and sight-through rings. Any rail mounted rings I’ve ever found have a cross bolt that blocks the rail channel. Then I found these old Weavers on EBay. The recoil lugs are short vertical pins. A stamped plate on the right side clamps to the rail.

I couldn’t get a decent photo through the aperture, so this view is over the top.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TinMan
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Sight-Through Rings

Post by TinMan »

Sweet, could ya share the model name/number of those please? 8-)
"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
George Orwell

"Fight only when you must. But if it's unavoidable.....fight like your the third monkey trying to get on the Ark."
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Afraid not. No stamping, and no numbers on the box. There’s a pair for sale at that outfit that sells vintage scopes, but they’re expensive.

Vintagegunscopes.com
TinMan
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by TinMan »

HarryAlonzo wrote:Afraid not. No stamping, and no numbers on the box. There’s a pair for sale at that outfit that sells vintage scopes, but they’re expensive.

Vintagegunscopes.com
Thanks, PM inbound....... +corn

Found some here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Weaver-1-See-T ... SwVGVeXJcJ
"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
George Orwell

"Fight only when you must. But if it's unavoidable.....fight like your the third monkey trying to get on the Ark."
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

Personally, I'd caution the use of these see-thru ring arrangements. The big downside is that see-thru rings raise the rifle scope so high as to eliminate any cheek weld on the stock comb when aiming. Makes it hard to stabilize rifle, aiming off-hand. I think this would be even more noticeable when used on a lever action with stock angles designed for using iron sights.

With some range practice, the scope cross hairs find the targets more easily. We seem to have a natural pointing ability that helps this. The rest is scope positioning on rifle.

If one adds a comb pad to restore a cheek-weld, then it is nearly impossible to use the original iron sights.

Just something to think on and consider.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

All good points. I use a strap-on cheek riser that gives me a good cheek weld with the scope. Scrunching down to pick up the irons is only a little awkward. The real goal is to be able to make a quick conversion. Before, I needed to unmount the scope. Now, I just need to unstrap the cheek riser. And in a pinch, I don’t even have to do that.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I don't use scopes on many things but when I do I want them to be DOWN against the gun.

That being said, I have my own set of desires and I am proud when one of us finds the combination he is looking for.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I sort of like the idea of see through functionality.

In practice I haven't seen it work out so well.
I typically use Warne QD Maxima rings. Turn two levers a couple revolutions and slide the scope off if required. It isn't instant but it CAN be done inside of a minute or two tops.

On some AR builds I have gone with 45 degree back up sights.

I want the scope caps to barely clear the barrel and I don't want the scope touching anything but the rings. That said I want it low to the gun with the exception of the AR where I want it to line up naturally with my eye. If I use a medium mount on an AR it will be awkwardly low. Even a set of high rings are often not very close to lining up right. Most unitized mounts work and Warne makes a few Ultra High sets of rings that work well.

I do have a M1A with a mount that is supposed to allow for seeing the iron sights and it will without the scope. That is one of the few guns that I have a set of rings on that require tools to get them off.